The Rundown of EMT Certification in Wyoming:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Wyoming, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Texas is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In Wisconsin?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to qualify the NREMT examination.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to get a national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the Texas license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of Texas makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the Wyoming license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterward.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears beside “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter and set a timetable for the NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
The Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS) accepts online applications for licensure.
The process to gain licensure in Wyoming with a current NREMT or state certification is as follows:
- Complete an online application including all required documents through our EMS Licensure site at either http://www.wyemslicense.com or (https://wyoming.emsbridge.com/licensure/public/wyoming/public-portal/Login), note these web addresses take you to the same web page but with a new easier to remember the address. Incomplete applications or those with documentation cannot be processed.
- Submit fingerprints to the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigations for a background check. Download the fingerprint directions and information sheet.
The process to gain licensure in Wyoming with course completion and no current state license or NREMT certification is as follows:
Complete an online application including all required documents through our EMS Licensure site at either: http://www.wyemslicense.com or (https://wyoming.emsbridge.com/licensure/public/wyoming/public-portal/Login) note these web addresses take you to the same web page but with a new easier to remember address. Incomplete applications or those with documentation cannot be processed.
- Submit fingerprints to the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigations for background check. Download the fingerprint directions and information sheet.
- Schedule and complete a written reciprocity exam with our office (307-777-7955)
There is no automatic reciprocity with any State, Education Program, National Registry of EMT’s.
*No person may function as an EMR, or any level of EMT without a valid license.
Information on how and where to submit the candidates EMT Application can be found at the following URL:
Wyoming EMS Campus Locations:
- Laramie County Community College
Address: 1400 East College Drive, Cheyenne, Wyoming- 82007
Contact Number: 800-522-2993
Official Website: http://www.lccc.wy.edu/
- Central Wyoming College
Address: 2660 Peck Avenue, Riverton, Wyoming- 82501
Contact Number: (307) 855-2000, (800) 735-8418
Official Website: http://www.cwc.edu/
- Casper College
Address: 125 College Drive, Casper, Wyoming- 82601
Contact Number: 307-268-2100, 1-800-442-2963
Official Website: http://www.caspercollege.edu/
Wyoming EMT Contact Information:
Wyoming Bureau of EMS
Emergency Medical Services & Trauma
6101 Yellowstone Road, Suite 400
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-5639