The Rundown of EMT Certification in Texas:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Texas, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Texas is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In Texas?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to qualify the NREMT examination.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to get a national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the Texas license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of Texas makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the Texas license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterward.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears beside “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter and set a timetable for the NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
To apply for the license, you have to fill the application by going through the instructions mentioned in the form. It is necessary to fill the correct and complete information in the application form, otherwise; your application will get rejected. Documents to be enclosed with the application are:
- Copy of NREMT card.
- Application fee in the form of cheque or money order. The non-refundable amount at respective levels is:
- EMT- Basic: $64.00
- EMT- Intermediate: $96.00
- EMT- Paramedic: $126.00
The application and documents can be submitted to:
Texas EMS Training Locations:
- Alvin Community College
Address: 3110 Mustang Road, Alvin, Texas – 77511
Contact Number: 281-756-3500
- Amarillo College
Address: 1314 South Polk Street, Amarillo, Texas – 79101
Contact Number: 806-371-2900
- Trinity Valley Community College
Address: 100 Cardinal Drive, Athens, Texas- 75751
Contact Number: 903-675-6200
- Austin Community College District
Address: 5930 Middle Fiskville Road, Austin, Texas- 78752-4390
Contact Number: 512-223-4222
- Lee College
Address: 200 Lee Drive, Baytown, Texas- 77520
Contact Number: 281-427-5611 / 800-621-8724
- Lamar Institute of Technology
Address: 855 East Lavaca, Beaumont, Texas- 77705
Contact Number: 1-800-950-6989 / 409-880-8321
- Coastal Bend College
Address: 3800 Charco Road, Beeville, Texas- 78102
Contact Number: 1-866-722-2838
Official Website: http://www.coastalbend.edu/
- Howard College
Address: 1001 Birdwell Lane, Big Spring, Texas- 79720
Contact Number: 432-264-5000
- Blinn College
Address: 902 College Avenue, Brenham, Texas- 77833
Contact Number: 979-830-4000
- Texas Southmost College
Address: 80 Fort Brown, Brownsville, Texas- 78520
Contact Number: 956-295-3600
Official Website: http://www.tsc.edu/
- Clarendon College
Address: 1122 College Drive, P.O. Box- 968, Clarendon, Texas- 79226
Contact Number: 806-874-3571
- Del Mar College
Address: 101 Baldwin Boulevard, Corpus Christi, Texas- 78404-3897
Contact Number: 361-698-1200 / 1-800-652-3357
- Navarro College
Address: 3200 West 7th Avenue, Corsicana, Texas- 75110
Contact Number: 1-800-628-2776
- El Centro College
Address: 801 Main Street, Dallas, Texas-75202
Contact Number: 214-860-2000
- Grayson College
Address: 6101 Grayson Drive, Highway 691, Denison, Texas- 75020
Contact Number: 903-465-6030
- El Paso Community College
Address: 9050 Viscount Boulevard, El Paso, Texas- 79925
Contact Number: 915-831-2150
- Brookhaven College
Address: 3939 Valley View Lane, Farmers Branch, Dallas, Texas- 75244-4997
Contact Number: 972-860-4700
- Tarrant County College
Address: 5301 Campus Drive, Fort Worth, Texas- 76119
Contact Number: 817-515-8223
- North Central Texas College
Address: 1525 West California Street, Gainesville, Texas- 76240
Contact Number: 940-668-7731
- Galveston College
Address: 4015 Avenue Q, Galveston, Texas- 77550
Contact Number: 409-944-4242
- Texas State Technical College
Address: 1902 North Loop 499, Harlingen, Texas- 78550
Contact Number: 1-800-852-8784
Official Website: http://www.tstc.edu/harlingen/
- Hill College
Address: 112 Lamar Hillsboro, Texas- 76645
Contact Number: 254-659-7500
- Houston Community College
Address: 3100 Main Street, Houston Texas- 77002
Contact Number: 713.718.2000
Official Website: http://www.hccs.edu/
- Kilgore College
Address: 1100 Broadway, Kilgore, Texas- 75662-3204
Contact Number: 903-984-8531
Official Website: http://www.kilgore.edu/
- Central Texas College
Address: P.O. Box- 1800, Killeen, Texas- 76540-1800
Contact Number: 254-526-7161
- Laredo Community College
Address: West End Washington Street, Laredo, Texas- 78040
Contact Number: 956.722.0521
- South Plains College
Address: 1401 South College Avenue, Levelland, Texas- 79336
Contact Number: 806-894-9611
Official Website: http://www.southplainscollege.edu/
- Angelina College
Address: 3500 South First Street, Lufkin, Texas- 75904
Contact Number: 936-639-1301
Official Website: http://www.angelina.edu/
- South Texas College
Address: 3201 West Pecan, McAllen, Texas- 78501
Contact Number: 956-872-8311 / 800-742-7822
Official Website: http://www.southtexascollege.edu/
- Midland College
Address: 3600 North Garfield, Midland, Texas- 79705
Contact Number: 432-685-4500/ 432-570-8805
Official Website: http://www.midland.edu/
- Northeast Texas Community College
Address: 2886 FM 1735 Chapel Hill Road, Mount Pleasant, Texas- 75455
Contact Number: 903-434-8100
Official Website: http://www.ntcc.edu/
- Lamar State College- Orange
Address: 410 Front Street, Orange, Texas- 77630
Contact Number: 409-883-7750
- San Jacinto College
Address: 5800 Uvalde Road, Houston, Texas- 77049
Contact Number: 281-998-6150
- Collin County Community College District
Address: 2200 West University Drive, McKinney, Texas- 75071
Contact Number: 972-548-6790 / 972-881-5790 / 972-377-1790
- San Antonio College
Address: 1300 San Pedro Avenue, San Antonio, Texas- 78212-4299
Contact Number: 210-486-0000
Official Website: http://www.alamo.edu/sac/
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Address: 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, Texas- 78229
Contact Number: 210-567-7000
Official Website: http://uthscsa.edu/
- Western Texas College
Address: 6200 College Avenue, Snyder, Texas- 79549
Contact Number: 325-573-8511 / 1-888-468-6982
- Texas State Technical College- West Texas
Address: 3801 Campus Drive, Waco, Texas- 76705
Contact Number: 254-799-3611
- Temple College
Address: 2600 South First Street, Temple, Texas- 76504-7435
Contact Number: 254-298-8282 / 800-460-4636
- Texarkana College
Address: 2500 North Robison Road, Texarkana, Texas- 75599
Contact Number: 903-823-3456
Official Website: https://www.texarkanacollege.edu/
- College of the Mainland
Address: 1200 Amburn Road, Texas City, Texas- 77591
Contact Number: 409-938-1211 / 1-888-258-8859
- Lone Star College System
Address: 5000 Research Forest Drive, The Woodlands, Texas- 77381-4356
Contact Number: 832-813-6500
Official Website: http://www.lonestar.edu/
- Tyler Junior College
Address: 1327 South Baxter Avenue, Tyler, Texas- 75701
Contact Number: 800-687-5680
Official Website: https://www.tjc.edu/
- Vernon College
Address: 4400 College Drive, Vernon, Texas- 76384
Contact Number: 940-552-6291
- Victoria College
Address: 2200 East Red River, Victoria, Texas- 77901
Contact number: 361-573-3291 / 877-843-4369
- McLennan Community College
Address: 1400 College Drive, Waco, Texas- 76708
Contact Number: 254-299-8000 / 254-299-8622
- Weatherford College
Address: 225 College Park Drive, Weatherford, Texas- 76086
Contact Number: 817-594-5471
- Wharton County Junior College
Address: 911 Boling Highway, Wharton, Texas- 77488
Contact Number: 979-532-4560
Official Website: http://www.wcjc.edu/
Texas EMT Contact Information:
The Exchange Building
8407 Wall Street, Suite N-410
Austin, TX 78754
Phone: (512) 834-6700