The Rundown of EMT Certification in Pennsylvania:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Nevada, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Pennsylvania is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In Pennsylvania?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to qualify the NREMT examination.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to get a national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the Pennsylvania license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of Pennsylvania makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the Pennsylvania license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterward.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears beside “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter and set a timetable for the NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
Lastly, the students need to apply for a license by submitting an application to the Pennsylvania Department of Health.
Pennsylvania Department of Health
Bureau of Emergency Medical Services
Address: 625 Forster Street, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania- 17120
Contact Number: 717-787-8740
Pennsylvania EMS Education Programs:
- Emergency Medical Services Institute
Address: 1002 Church Hill Road, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania- 15205
Contact number: 412-242-7322
Official Website: http://www.emsi.org/
- California University of Pennsylvania
Address: 250 University Avenue, California, Pennsylvania- 15419
Contact Number: 724-938-4000
Official Website: http://www.calu.edu/
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Address: 1011 South Drive, Indiana, Pennsylvania- 15705
Contact Number: 724-357-2100
Official Website: http://www.iup.edu/
- Community College of Allegheny County
Address: 8701 U.S. Route 19, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania- 15237
Contact Number: 412-366-7000
Official Website: http://www.ccac.edu/
- Westmoreland County Community College
Address: 145 Pavilion Lane, Youngwood, Pennsylvania- 15697
Contact Number: 724-925-4000 / 1- 800-262-2103
Official Website: https://wccc.edu/
- Butler County Community College
Address: 107 College Drive, Butler, Pennsylvania- 16002
Contact Number: 724-287-8711 / 888-826-2829
Official Website: http://www.bc3.edu/
- Center for Emergency Medicine
Address: 230 McKee Place, Suite- 500, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania- 15213
Contact Number: 412-647-5300
Official Website: http://www.centerem.org/
- Mutual Aid Ambulance Service
Address: 561 West Otterman Street, Greensburg, Pennsylvania- 15601
Contact Number: 724-837-6134
Official Website: http://www.mutual-aid.com/
- Community College of Beaver County
Address: One Campus Drive, Monaca, Pennsylvania- 15061
Contact Number: 724-480-2222
Official Website: http://www.ccbc.edu/
- Emergency Health Services Federation
Address: 722 Limekiln Road New Cumberland, Pennsylvania- 17070-2354
Contact Number: 717-774-7911
Official Website: http://www.ehsf.org/
- Harrisburg Area Community College
Address: One HACC Drive, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania- 17110-800
Contact Number: 717-780-2400
Official Website: http://www.hacc.edu/
- Eastern Lebanon County School District
Address: 180 ELCO Drive, Myerstown, Pennsylvania- 17067
Contact Number: 717-866-7117
Official Website: http://www.elcosd.org/pages/ELCO
- YTI Career Institute
Address: 2900 Fairway Drive, Altoona, Pennsylvania- 16602
Contact Number: 814-944-5643
Official Website: http://www.yti.edu/
- Pennsylvania College of Technology
Address: One College Avenue, Williamsport, Pennsylvania- 17701
Contact Number: 570-326-3761 / 800-367-9222
Official Website: http://www.pct.edu/schools/hs/
- Cumberland Perry Area Vocational Technical School
Address: 110 Old Willow Mill Road, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania- 17050
Contact Number: 717-697-0354
Official Website: http://www.cpavts.org/
- Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center
Address: 1086 Franklin Street, Johnstown, Pennsylvania- 15905
Contact Number: 814-534-9000
Official Website: http://www.conemaugh.org/template_article.aspx?id=1446
- Pennsylvania Highlands Community College
Address: 101 Community College Way, Johnstown, Pennsylvania- 15904
Contact Number: 888-385-7325
Official Website: http://www.pennhighlands.edu/
- Greater Johnstown Career and Technology Center
Address: 445 Schoolhouse Road, Johnstown, Pennsylvania- 15904
Contact Number: 1-814-266-1300 / 1-888-434-4436
Official Website: http://gjctc.org/
- Eastern PA EMS Council, Inc.
Address: 4801 Kernville Road, Orefield, Pennsylvania- 18069
Contact Number: 610-820-9212
Official Website: http://www.easternemscouncil.org/
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
Address: 4525 Education Park Drive, Schnecksville, Pennsylvania- 18078
Contact Number: 610-799-2121
Official Website: http://www.lccc.edu/
- Northampton Community College
Address: 3835 Green Pond Road, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania- 18020
Contact Number: 610-861-5300
Official Website: http://www.northampton.edu/
- Reading Area Community College
Address: 10 South Second Street, Reading, Pennsylvania- 19603
Contact Number: 610-372-4721
Official Website: http://www.racc.edu/
- Bucks County Emergency Health Services
Address: 911 Freedom Way, Ivyland, Pennsylvania- 18974
Contact Number: 215-340-8735
Official Website: http://www.bcehs.com/
- Fortis Institute
Address: 5757 West 26th Street, Erie, Pennsylvania- 16506
Contact Number: 814-838-7673
Official Website: http://www.fortis.edu/
- EMMCO East Regional EMS Council
Address: 1411 Million Dollar Highway, Kersey, Pennsylvania- 15846-9726
Contact Number: 814-834-9212
Official Website: http://www.emmcoeast.org/
- EMMCO West, Inc.
Address: 16271 Conneaut Lake Road, Meadville, Pennsylvania- 16335
Contact Number: 814-337-5380
Official Website: http://www.emmco.org/
- Chester County EMS Council, Inc.
Address: 601 Westtown Road, Suite- 012, West Chester, Pennsylvania- 19380
Contact Number: 610-344-5000
Official Website: http://www.chescoems.org/
- Good Fellowship Ambulance & EMS Training Institute
Address: 600 Montgomery Avenue, West Chester, Pennsylvania- 19380
Contact Number: 610-431-3132
Official Website: http://www.goodfellowship.com/
- Southern Alleghenies EMS Council, Inc.
Address: 123 Olde Farm Office Road, Duncansville, Pennsylvania- 16635
Contact Number: 814-696-3200
Official Website: http://www.saems.com/
- Seven Mountains EMS Council
Address: 523 Dell Street, Bellefonte, Pennsylvania- 16823
Contact Number: 814-355-1474
Official Website: http://www.smemsc.org/
- Susquehanna EHS Council, Inc.
Address: 265 Point Township Drive, Suite D, Northumberland, Pennsylvania- 17857
Contact Number: 570-473-7834
Official Website: http://sehsc.org/
- Delaware County Community College
Address: 901 South Media Line Road, Media, Pennsylvania- 19063
Contact Number: 610-359-5000
Official Website: http://www.dccc.edu/
- Luzerne County Community College
Address: 1333 South Prospect Street, Nanticoke, Pennsylvania- 18634-3899
Contact Number: 1-800-377-5222
Official Website: http://www.luzerne.edu
- Reading Health System
Address: 6th Avenue, Spruce Street, West Reading, Pennsylvania- 19611
Contact Number: 610-988-8000
Official Website: https://www.readinghealth.org/
- Montgomery County
Address: P.O. Box- 311, Norristown, Pennsylvania- 19404-0311
Contact Number: 610-278-3000
Official Website: http://www.montcopa.org/index.aspx?nid=237
- Lackawanna College
Address: 501 Vine Street, Scranton, Pennsylvania- 18509
Contact Number: 877-346-3552
Official Website: http://www.lackawanna.edu/
- Drexel University
Address: 3141 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania- 19104
Contact Number: 215-895-2000
Official Website: http://www.drexel.edu/
- Philadelphia Job Corps Center
Address: 2810 South, 20th Street, Building 12, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania- 19145-5001
Contact Number: 267-386-2888
Official Website: http://philadelphia.jobcorps.gov/home.aspx
- Lancaster County Career and Technology Center
Address: 1730 Hans Herr Drive, Willow Street, Pennsylvania- 17584
Contact Number: 717- 464-7050
Official Website: http://www.lcctc.org/site/default.aspx?PageID=1
Pennsylvania EMT Contact Information:
Pennsylvania Department of Health
Bureau of Emergency Medical Services
625 Forster St
Harrisburg, PA 17120
Phone: (717) 787-8740
Fax: (717) 772-0910