The Rundown on EMT Training in Connecticut:
Emergency Medical Technician training is divided into three main levels:
Though it is not a very difficult task to become an Emergency Medical Technician, there are certain requirements that a person needs to fulfill, if/she wants to enroll for EMT courses.
Why enroll for EMT coursework?
An EMT is a person, who gives pre-hospital care while transporting the patient to the hospital or at the sight of the crisis. These professionals are trained to provide basic life support assistance to the patients suffering from heart attacks, allergy, poisonous attacks, diabetes, etc. Emergency medical technicians play an important role in a sick or injured person’s life as they are the first responders to an emergency crisis before the patient gets seen by a doctor in an emergency room. The EMT program prepares students for these challenging responsibilities. The curriculum will provide you with all the skills and knowledge to take the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) Exam. This exam consists of a computerized adaptive test as well as a practical skills exam.
Another good advantage to pursue EMT training is that there is a good career scope, once you pass the NREMT exam. Emergency Medical Technicians are employed at various locations, such as hospitals, health care centers, entertainment places, as well as industrial sites and private EMS transport companies. As the population continues to age, there will be an increasing demand for EMTs; therefore, it can be a good career option.
What are the basic requirements to enroll for EMT curriculum?
- The student must be at least 18 years of age.
- The candidate must possess a valid driving license.
- The aspirant must complete a 10th-grade level or high school certificate.
- The applicant must have a CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification from the state healthcare providers, such as the American Red Cross.
- The aspiring candidate must be fluent to read, write and speak English.
- You must not have any criminal background.
- You are also ought to be mentally and physically fit.
- The student also needs to provide proof of several vaccinations, like measles, mumps, diphtheria, tetanus, Hepatitis B, rubella, and pertussis.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate in Connecticut?
- The candidate should meet the minimum age requirement of being 18 years old.
- You must complete EMT training from a program, this program must be accredited by the state of Connecticut.
- Passing the NREMT examination is also mandatory.
- The candidates are also required to complete a state-approved CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) training.
- It is important for the candidates to be bodily strong and mentally sound.
- A proof of the citizenship of the United States should also be provided by the candidates.
- A background check of the candidates is also compulsory.
- The candidate must have fluency in the English language.
Special requirements are:
- The candidate in Connecticut must provide the applicable fees along with the application for the certification process.
- Qualifying the practical exam, conducted by the state, is also needed.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
The following steps are involved in acquiring the process of EMT certification in Connecticut:
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The first step needed to get certified as an EMT is a state-approved EMT training, which involves both didactic classes, as well as field training.
Step 2: Application for National Certification
Exams for EMT, AEMT, and Paramedic level of certification is taken by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). The candidate needs to follow the following process in order to apply for certification:
- Firstly, the candidate will be required to create an account on the NREMT website through an option of “Create New Account”.
- The option of “Create Initial Entry Application” will let the candidate create a new application.
- Now, you must pay the application fee soon after completing the online application process. Though, you can also pay later.
- The candidate is also required to check his/her application status regularly by logging in through the username and password, with which, he/she has created the account on the website. Go to the homepage and click on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status” for checking your “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter.
- If the link “Submitted” appears next to the option of “Course Completion Verification”, it is an indication that the website has submitted your application details, and it is waiting for the education program director to confirm the completion of your course.
- However, if “Not Submitted” appears on your account next to the option of “Application Payment”, it indicates that you are required to pay the application fee before receiving your ATT Letter.
- The option of “Print ATT Letter” will appear only when you have paid the fee and your education program director has verified the process of course completion.
- Now, take out a printed copy of your ATT Letter and set a date for your exam.
You will find the detailed instructions about scheduling your NREMT examination on your ATT Letter.
Step 3: Background Check of the Candidate
A check on the background of the candidate is very important in order to apply for certification. It includes a fingerprint report and a valid photo id of the candidate. Live Scan Fingerprint Services takes the fingerprints of the candidates. You may contact the local “Live Scan Provider” for seeking any other information.
Step 4: Apply for State Certification
After successfully passing the criminal background check, as well as the NREMT test, the candidate needs to apply at the local EMS department in order to get his/her EMT certification card. The state EMT certification in Connecticut remains valid only for 2 years from the date; it has been issued by the EMS agency.
Connecticut Approved EMS Training Centers:
- Capital Community College
Address: 950, Main Street, Hartford, Connecticut- 06103
Contact Number: (860) 906-5000, (800) 894-6126
- Goodwin College
Address: One Riverside Drive, East Hartford, Connecticut- 06118
Contact Number: (860) 528-4111/ (800) 889-3282
- Danbury Hospital
Address: 24 Hospital Avenue, Danbury, Connecticut- 06810
Contact Number: 1-800-516-3658
- Hartford Hospital
Address: 80 Seymour Street, Hartford, Connecticut- 06102
Contact Number: (860) 545-5000
Fax Number: (860) 545-5066
- Connecticut Medical Training Academy
Address: Waterside Commons, 70 Main Street, Windsor Locks, Connecticut- 06096
Contact Number: (860) 623-9937
Connecticut EMT Contact Information: