The Rundown of EMT Certification in Tennessee:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Tennessee, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Tennessee is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In Tennessee?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to qualify the NREMT examination.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to get a national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the Tennessee license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of Tennessee makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the Tennessee license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterward.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears beside “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter and set a timetable for the NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
To apply for the license, you have to fill the application by going through the instructions mentioned in the form. It is necessary to fill the correct and complete information in the application form, otherwise; your application will get rejected. Documents to be enclosed with the application are:
- Copy of NREMT card.
- Application information is handled by your course instructor.
- Application Fee Documentation: http://health.state.tn.us/EMS/PDF/PH-2397.pdf
EMS Training Centers:
- Northeast State Community College
Address: 2425 Highway 75, P.O. Box- 246, Blountville, Tennessee 37617-0246
Contact Number: 423-323-3191 / 800-836-7822
Official Website: http://www.northeaststate.edu/
- Cleveland State Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 3570, Cleveland, Tennessee- 37320
Contact Number: 423-472-7141 / 800-604-2722
Official Website: http://www.clevelandstatecc.edu/
- Columbia State Community College
Address: 1665 Hampshire Pike, Columbia, Tennessee- 38401
Contact Number: 931-540-2722
Official Website: http://www.columbiastate.edu/
- Volunteer State Community College
Address: Ramer Building, Suite- 173, 1480 Nashville Pike, Gallatin, Tennessee- 37066
Contact Number: 615-230-3688
Official Website: http://www.volstate.edu/
- Roane State Community College
Address: 276 Patton Lane, Harriman, Tennessee- 37748-5011
Contact Number: 865-354-3000 / 866-462-7722
Official Website: http://www.roanestate.edu/
- Jackson State Community College
Address: 2046, North Parkway, Jackson, Tennessee- 38301
Contact Number: 731-425-2643
Official Website: http://www.jscc.edu/
- Southwest Tennessee Community College
Address: 5983, Macon Cove, Memphis, Tennessee- 38134
Contact Number: 901-333-5000
Official Website: http://www.tn.edu/
- Walters State Community College
Address: 500 South Davy Crockett Parkway, Morristown, Tennessee- 37813-6899
Contact Number: 423-585-2600 / 800-225-4770
Official Website: http://www.ws.edu/home/
- Chattanooga State Community College
Address: 4501, Amnicola Highway, Chattanooga, Tennessee- 37406-1097
Contact Number: 423-697-4400 / 866-547-3733
Official Website: https://www.chattanoogastate.edu/
- Dyersburg State Community College
Address: 1510 Lake Road, Dyersburg, Tennessee- 38024
Contact Number: 731-286-3200
Official Website: http://www.dscc.edu/
- Tennessee Tech University
Address: 1 William L Jones Drive, Cookeville, Tennessee- 38505
Contact Number: 931-372-3101 / 800-255-8881
Official Website: http://www.tntech.edu/
- Motlow College
Address: P.O. Box- 8500, Lynchburg, Tennessee- 37352-8500
Contact Number: 931-393-1500 / 1-800-654-4877
Official Website: http://www.mscc.edu/
- Middle Tennessee State University
Address: 1301 East Main Street, Murfreesboro, Tennessee- 37132-0001
Contact Number: 615-898-2300
Official Website: http://www.mtsu.edu/
- Nashville Fire Department
Address: P.O. Box 196332, Nashville, Tennessee- 37219-6332
Contact Number: 615-862-5390
Official Website: http://nashfire.org/
- Sewanee- The University of the South
Address: 735 University Avenue, Sewanee, Tennessee- 37383
Contact Number: 931-598-1000
Official Website: http://www.sewanee.edu/
- The Livingston Parish Literacy and Technology Center
Address: 9261 Florida Boulevard, Walker, Louisiana- 70785
Contact Number: 225-667-5268
Official Website: http://www.lpltc.org/
- Cookeville Regional Medical Center
Address: 1 Medical Center Boulevard, Cookeville, Tennessee- 38501
Contact Number: 931-528-2541 / 931-783-2020
Official Website: http://www.crmchealth.org/
- St. Thomas Health Services
Address: 2000 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee- 37236
Contact Number: 615-284-5555
Official website: https://www.sths.com/Pages/Home.aspx
- Vanderbilt Lifeflight
Address: 1211 Medical Center Drive, Nashville, Tennessee- 37232
Contact Number: 615-322-5000
Official Website: http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/lifeflight/