The Rundown of EMT Certification in Mississippi:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Mississippi, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Mississippi is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate in Mississippi?
The following prerequisites should be met by the candidate in order to apply for certification:
- 18 year is the minimum age to apply for certification.
- He/she should have to complete a state-recognized EMT training program.
- The candidate must hold a diploma of high school/GED level and must pass the NREMT examination successfully.
- The candidate must provide lawful evidence for establishing that he/she is a citizen of the United States.
- The candidate should score at least 10 marks in TABE reading test, or at least 16 marks in the ACT if appeared after October 1989, or 12 marks if appeared before October 1989.
- You must also take a hepatitis B vaccination before beginning your clinical or ambulance internship.
- Aspirants are also required to undergo a criminal background screening test.
- The candidate must be free from any type of physical ailment or mental disorder.
- The candidate must be deft in communication, especially in English.
- Correctly and completely filled application along with the required fee must be submitted by the applicants.
- Qualifying state-organized practical exam in Mississippi is also imperative.
Process of EMT Certificate
Step 1: Training
The prospective candidates must complete EMT training from an authenticated school or college in Mississippi.
If you want to become an ‘EMS-Driver’, you should undergo a recognized EMS Driver training program.
Step 2: Submission of Application for National Certification
Important Note: Those candidates, who wish to work as EMS-Driver, need not apply for NREMT certification.
- First of all, create your account on the NREMT website. For this purpose, take your mouse cursor on “Create New Account” and click.
- In order to create a new application, click on the option of “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Though you can make payment of the fees later, it will be better to pay just after completion of the process of online application for the sake of quick processing.
- Regularly keep an eye on the “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. You can do this by signing into the website with the help of username and password through which, the account was initially created. Now, click on “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- If your information has been sent by the site but still the confirmation by the education program director is looked-for, then in this case, you will see “Submitted” close to the option “Course Completion Verification”.
- If “Not Submitted” appears next to “Application Payment”, you need to pay the fee ahead of acquiring the ATT Letter.
- After the payment of fees and verification of your course completion by the education director, “Print ATT Letter” will be observable on your account.
- Take out the Xerox of the ATT Letter and set a timetable of the NREMT exam, following the instructions provided on the letter.
It should be kept in mind that
- The link “Print ATT Letter” will be visible only when the education director approves your course completion.
- The NREMT practical exams will be organized by the training programs, authenticated by the state.
Step 3: Background Check
It is important for the candidate to pass a criminal background check so as to finish the process of certification.
Step 4: License Application
The candidate is required to fill the “Application for Mississippi EMS Certification” available onhttp://www.msdh.state.ms.us/msdhsite/_static/resources/2949.pdf. Before filling the form, read the instructions carefully.
Along with the application, you need to enclose the following documents:
- A clear copy of EMT card issued by National Registry.
- An applicable fee that must be paid through a money order made on the name of “The Mississippi State Department of Health”.
The fees for different levels of EMT certification are:
- Medical First Responder – $10
- EMS-Driver – $35
- EMT-Basic – $35
- EMT-Intermediate – $35
- EMT-Paramedic – $35
- Original copy of Jurisdictional Medical Control Agreement
- A recent passport-size photograph that must be
- Coloured and less than 3 months old
- Measure at least “2 x 2″.
- Taken in a “Front Bust” style.
- The candidate should not be wearing caps, hats, sweatbands, sunglasses, etc.
You can get your photograph clicked free of cost at the Bureau of EMS Office.
- A copy of EMS-Driver Training certificate (only for EMS-Driver candidates)
- A copy of state driving license (only for EMS-Driver candidates)
The candidate must mail this application form to the following address:
Mississippi State Department of Health
570 East Woodrow Wilson
Jackson, Mississippi- 39216
Important Note: The EMT certification for Mississippi will expire simultaneously with the expiry of National Registry certification. If your certification lapses, the Bureau of EMS may withhold renewal for the time equivalent to the time that the certification lapsed.
Mississippi EMS Training Sites:
- Copiah-Lincoln Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 649, Wesson, Mississippi- 39191
Contact Number: 601-643-8307
Official Website: http://www.colin.edu/
- East Central Community College
Address: Room 171, P.O. Box- 129, Decatur, Mississippi- 39327
Contact Number: 601-635-6202
Official Website: http://www.eccc.edu/
- East Mississippi Community College
Address: 1512 Kemper Street, P.O. Box- 158, Scooba, Mississippi- 39358
Contact Number: (662) 476-8442
Official Website: http://www.eastms.edu/
- Hinds Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 1100, Raymond, Mississippi- 39154
Contact Number: 601-936-1860
Official Website: http://www.hindscc.edu/
- Holmes Community College
Address: 1 Hill Street, Goodman, Mississippi- 39079
Contact Number: (800) 465-6374
Official Website: http://www.holmescc.edu/
- Itawamba Community College
Address: 602 West Hill Street, Fulton, Mississippi- 38843
Contact Number: 662-862-8000
Official Website: http://www.iccms.edu/
- Jones County Junior College
Address: 900 South Court Street, Ellisville, Mississippi- 39437
Contact Number: (601) 477-4025
Official Website: http://www.jcjc.edu/
- Meridian Community College
Address: 910 Highways 19 North, Meridian, Mississippi- 39307
Contact Number: 601-483-8241
Official Website: http://www.mcc.cc.ms.us/
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 548, Perkinston, Mississippi- 39573
Contact Number: 601-928-5211
Official Website: https://www.mgccc.edu/
- Northwest Mississippi Community College
Address: 4975 Highway 51 North, Senatobia, Mississippi- 38668-1701
Contact Number: 662-562-3200
Official Website: http://www.northwestms.edu/
- University of Mississippi Medical Center
Address: 2500 North State Street, Jackson, Mississippi- 39216
Contact Number: 601-984-1000
Official Website: http://www.umc.edu/
- Coahoma Community College
Address: 3240 Friars Point Road, Clarksdale, Mississippi- 38614
Contact Number: (662) 627-2571
Official Website: http://www.ccc.cc.ms.us/
- Mississippi Delta Community College
Address: Highway 3 & Cherry Street, Moorhead, Mississippi- 38761
Contact Number: 662-246-6302
Official Website: http://www.msdelta.edu/
Mississippi EMT Contact Information:
Mississippi State Department of Health
570 East Woodrow Wilson Dr
Jackson, MS 39216