The Rundown of EMT Certification in South Carolina:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in South Carolina, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in South Carolina is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In South Carolina?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to qualify the NREMT examination.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
South Carolina has a special Credentialing System. EMT Candidates must enroll in this system before they begin their EMT training. To know about the details of registration, click on the below given link:
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to get national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the South Carolina license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of South Carolina makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the South Carolina license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterwards.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears besides “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter, and set a timetable for NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
Once you meet all these requirements for S.C. EMT certification, the certification paperwork will be sent to the address you provided on the Certificate Application white card.
You should receive your S.C. EMT certification within two weeks of receiving your National Registry credential. You are required by state law to keep your original S.C. EMT pocket certification card on your person at all times when functioning as an EMT. If you lose it, make sure to order a replacement pocket certification card by calling 803-545-4269.
South Carolina EMS Education and Training Centers:
- Technical College of the Lowcountry
Address: 921 Ribaut Road, Beaufort, South Carolina- 29901
Contact Number: 843-525-8211
Official Website: http://www.tcl.edu/
- Trident Technical College
Address: P.O. Box-118067, Charleston, South Carolina- 29423
Contact Number: 843-574-6111 / 877-349-7184
Official Website: http://www.tridenttech.edu/
- Horry Georgetown Technical College
Address: 2050 Highway 501 East Conway, South Carolina 29528-6066
Contact Number: 843-347-3186 / 855-544-4482
Official Website: http://www.hgtc.edu/
- Greenville Technical College
Address: P.O. Box- 5616, Greenville, South Carolina- 29606
Contact Number: 864-250-8000
Official Website: http://www.gvltec.edu/
- Piedmont Technical College
Address: 620 North Emerald Road, P.O. Box- 1467, Greenwood, South Carolina- 29648
Contact Number: 1-800-868-5528
Official Website: http://www.ptc.edu/
- Midlands Technical College
Address: P.O. Box- 2408, Columbia, South Carolina- 29202
Contact Number: 803-738-8324
Official Website: http://www.midlandstech.edu/
South Carolina EMT Contact Information:
South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
2600 Bull Street
Columbia, SC 29201