The Rundown of EMT Certification in Kentucky:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Kentucky, must pass an exam organised by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Kentucky is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate?
Following criteria are needed to be accomplished by the candidate in order to get EMT certificate in Kentucky:
- 18 years of age.
- The candidate must have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification is mandatory.
- The candidate is required to pass NREMT exam, which is important for attaining national certification in Kentucky.
- He/she must provide a legal proof of his/her citizenship in the United States.
- The candidate must be healthy both psychologically and physically.
- The English proficiency of the candidate must be excellent.
- He/she must undergo a criminal background check.
- An application for certification with the necessary application fee must be paid by the candidate.
- A practical exam from state-approved training program must be cleared by the applicant.
- HIV/AIDS course, approved from CHFS, should be completed by the candidate.
- The aspirant is ought to owns a valid driving license.
- The candidate must have passed high school level or GED.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
Firstly, you need to take EMT training from a state-approved program in Kentucky.
Step 2: Apply by Submitting Application for National Certification
- Start by making your account on the NREMT website. Click on the option of “Create New Account”.
- Now, apply through creating a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- You need to pay your application fee after the online application is completed. But, you can also make the payment later.
- Keep a check on the status of your application and keep looking regularly for the “Authorization to Test” by logging into the NREMT website with the help of username and password. You need to click on “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- If your information has been submitted by the site, “Submitted” will get visible next to “Course Completion Verification” on your account. It signifies that the approval of your course completion by the education program director is yet pending.
- However, if “Not Submitted” appears at the side of “Application Payment”, it clearly indicates that you need to pay your application fee before getting your ATT Letter.
- If your course completion process has been successfully confirmed by the education program director and the payment has been made, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- Now, print your ATT Letter, as well as decide a date and time of your examination.
Important Note: If your verification has been done, then only you will see the link “Print ATT Letter” on your account. However, if the verification process is not done, it will not appear.
The ATT Letter will direct you on how to schedule your NREMT examination.
Step 3: Background Check
You need to go through a criminal background check through the following websitehttps://client.verifiedcredentials.com/kbems/default.cfm.
It is important that time when you are submitting the application; your background check should be less than 6 months old.
Step 4: Apply for License
Applicants of Kentucky can apply for license online, as well as on paper. You should hold the following documents while applying:
- You need to fill the application form or create an account on the website “Kentucky Emergency Medical Services Information System (KEMSIS)”.
- You need to complete HIV/AIDS course, approved by CHFS.
- A both-sided copy of your CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) card.
- You should pass a high-school diploma.
- A valid driving license.
- A criminal background check, which is less than 6 months old.
- You should pass a practical exam.
- The applicant is requires to pay a fee of $40.00, which includes $10 application fee and $30 certification fee.
EMS Training Locations:
- Bluegrass Community & Technical College
Address: 470 Cooper Drive, Lexington, Kentucky- 40506-0235
Contact Number: 866-774-4872
Official Website: http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/
- Eastern Kentucky University
Address: 521 Lancaster Avenue, Richmond, Kentucky- 40475
Contact Number: (859) 622-1000
Official Website: http://www.eku.edu/
- Elizabethtown Community & Technical College
Address: 600 College Street Road, Elizabethtown, Kentucky- 42701
Contact Number: (270) 769-2371
Official Website: http://www.elizabethtown.kctcs.edu/
- Gateway Community & Technical College
Address: 500 Technology Way, Florence, Kentucky- 41042
Contact Number: (859) 441-4500
- Jefferson Community & Technical College
Address: 109 East Broadway, Louisville, Kentucky- 40202
Contact Number: (502) 213-5333
Official Website: http://www.jefferson.kctcs.edu/
- Owensboro Community & Technical College
Address: 4800 New Hartford Road, Owensboro, Kentucky- 42303
Contact Number: (270) 686-4400
Official Website: https://owensboro.kctcs.edu/
- Somerset Community College
Address: 808 Monticello Street, Somerset, Kentucky- 42501
Contact Number: 877-629-9722
Official Website: http://www.somerset.kctcs.edu/
- Southcentral Kentucky Community & Technical College
Address: 1845 Loop Drive, Bowling Green, Kentucky- 42101
Contact Number: (270) 901-1000
Official Website: http://www.bowlinggreen.kctcs.edu/
- West Kentucky Community & Technical College
Address: 4810 Alben Barkley Drive Paducah, Kentucky- 42001
Contact Number: 270-554-9200
Official Website: http://www.westkentucky.kctcs.edu/
- Western Kentucky University
Address: 1906 College Heights Boulevard, Bowling Green, Kentucky- 42101
Contact Number: (270) 745-0111
Official Website: http://www.wku.edu/
- Spalding University
Address: 845 South Third Street, Louisville, Kentucky- 40203
Contact Number: (502) 585-9911
Official Website: http://spalding.edu/
- St. Catharine College
Address: 2735 Bardstown Road, St. Catharine, Kentucky- 40061
Contact Number: 859-336-5082
Official Website: http://www.sccky.edu/
- Life-Savers, Inc.
Address: P.O. Box- 197334, Louisville, Kentucky- 40259
Contact Number: (502) 961-6329
Fax: (502) 961-6998
Official Website: http://www.life-savers.org/
Kentucky EMT Contact Information:
Kentucky Board of Emergency Medical Services
118 James Court
Lexington, KY 40505
Phone (859) 256-3565
Toll-Free 1 (866)-97KBEMS
Fax (859) 256-3128[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]