The Rundown of EMT Certification in New Jersey:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in New Jersey, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in New Jersey is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In New Jersey?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to qualify the NREMT examination.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to get a national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the New Jersey license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of New Jersey makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the New Jersey license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterward.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears beside “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter and set a timetable for the NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
The candidate must apply for EMT licensing by visiting http://www.njlincs.net. Follow the directions provided in ‘Instructions for EMS Licensing Application’.
New Jersey EMS Training:
- Atlantic Cape Community College
Address: 5100, Black Horse Pike, Mays Landing, New Jersey- 08330
Contact Number: 609-343-4900 / 609-625-1111
Official Website: http://www.atlantic.edu/
- Bergen County Law & Public Safety Institute
Address: One Bergen County Plaza, Hackensack, New Jersey- 07601-7076
Contact Number: 201-336-6000
- Lumberton Emergency Squad
Address: 32, Municipal Drive, P.O. Box- 339, Lumberton, New Jersey- 08048
Contact Number: 609-261-1828
- Delran Emergency Squad
Address: 900, Chester Avenue, P.O. Box- 1310, Delran, New Jersey- 08075
Contact Number: 856-461-1210
Official Website: http://www.delranems.org/
- Burlington County Emergency Service Training Centre
Address: 49, Rancocas Road, Mount Holly, New Jersey- 08060
Contact Number: 609-265-5000
Official Website: http://www.co.burlington.nj.us/
- Mount Laurel Emergency Medical Services, Inc.
Address: 201, Masonville Road, Mount Laurel, New Jersey- 08054
Contact Number: 856-778-1274
- Camden County College (Blackwood Campus)
Address: P.O. Box- 200, College Drive, Blackwood, New Jersey- 08012-0200
Contact Number: 856-227-7200
- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Address: Clinical Academic Building, 125 Paterson Street, New Brunswick, New Jersey- 08901
Contact Number: 732-235-6200/6201
- Lower Cape May Regional School District
Address: 687, Route- 9, Cape May, New Jersey- 08204
Contact Number: 609-884-3475
- Millburn-Short Hills Volunteer First Aid Squad
Address: P.O. Box- 226, Millburn, New Jersey- 07041
Contact Number: 973-564-7005
- Millville Rescue Squad
Address: 600, Cedar Street, Millville, New Jersey- 08332
Contact Number: 856-825-5063
Official Website: http://www.millvillerescue.org/
- West Orange First Aid Squad, Inc.
Address: 25, Mount Pleasant Place, West Orange, New Jersey- 07052
Contact Number: 973-325-4170
- Mountainside Hospital
Address: One Bay Avenue, Montclair, New Jersey- 07042
Contact Number: 973-429-6000
- Gloucester County College
Address: 1400, Tanyard Road, Sewell, New Jersey- 08080
Contact Number: 856-468-5000
- Liberty Health Medical Center
Address: 355, Grand Street, Jersey City, New Jersey- 07302
Contact Number: 201-915-2000
Official Website: http://www.libertyhealth.org/about.aspx?id=56
- St. Michael’s Medical Center
Address: 111, Central Avenue, Newark, New Jersey- 07102
Contact Number: 973-877-5000
Official Website: http://www.smmcnj.org/
- Capital Health Regional Medical Center
Address: 750, Brunswick Avenue, Trenton, New Jersey- 08638
Contact Number: 609-394-6000
- Pennington First Aid Squad
Address: 110, Broemel Pl, Pennington, New Jersey- 08534
Contact Number: 609-737-0479
- Mercer County Fire Academy
Address: 350, Lawrence Station Road, Lawrenceville New Jersey- 08648
Contact Number: 609-799-3245
- Princeton First Aid and Rescue Squad
Address: 237, North Harrison Street, Princeton, New Jersey- 08540
Contact Number: 609-924-3338
Official Website: http://www.pfars.org/
- Sayreville First Aid Squad, Inc.
Address: 776, Washington Road, Parlin, New Jersey- 08859
Contact Number: 732-390-7011
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center
Address: 1945, Route- 33, Neptune, New Jersey- 07753
Contact Number: 732-775-5500
- Monmouth-Ocean Hospital Service Corporation (MONOC)
Address: 4806, Megill Road, Wall Township, Neptune, New Jersey- 07753
Contact Number: 732-919-3045
- Budd Lake First Aid and Rescue Squad, Inc.
Address: Station 27 Rescue, 365 Route- 46, P.O. Box- 761, Budd Lake, New Jersey
Contact Number: 973-691-0900 ext 7382
- Keyport School District
Address: 370, Broad Street, Keyport, New Jersey- 07735
Contact Number: 732-212-6100
- Chilton Hospital
Address: 97, West Parkway, Pompton Plains, New Jersey
Contact Number: 973-831-5000
- Passaic County Community College
Address: One College Boulevard, Paterson, New Jersey- 07505
Contact Number: 973-684-6868
- Morris County Public Safety Academy
Address: 500, West Hanover Avenue, Parsippany, New Jersey- 07054
Contact Number: 973-285-2979
Official Website: http://www.morrisacademy.org/
- Ocean County
Address: P.O. Box- 2191, Toms River, New Jersey- 08754-2191
Contact Number: 609-242-8450
Official Website: http://www.co.ocean.nj.us
- Somerset County
Address: P.O. Box- 3000, 20 Grove Street, Somerville, New Jersey- 08876-1262
Contact Number: 908-231-7000
- Somerset County Vocational & Technical Schools
Address: 14, Vogt Drive, P.O. Box- 6350, Bridgewater, New Jersey- 08807
Contact Number: 908-526-8900
- Sussex County Community College
Address: One College Hill Road, Newton, New Jersey- 07860
Contact Number: 973-300-2100
- Wallkill Valley Regional High School
Address: 10, Grumm Road, Hamburg, New Jersey- 07419
Contact Number: 973-827-4100
- Warren County Community College
Address: 475, Route 57 West, Washington, New Jersey- 07882
Contact Number: 908-835-9222
- Union County College
Address: 1033, Springfield Avenue, Cranford, New Jersey- 07016
Contact Number: 908-709-7000
New Jersey EMT Contact Information:
New Jersey Department of Health
Department of Health
P. O. Box 360
Trenton, NJ 08625-0360