The Rundown of EMT Certification in Colorado:
To become an EMT in the state of Colorado the prospect must pass the NREMT Exam and then they can apply for a state license. The examination is divided into two parts- cognitive and practical. The cognitive exam tests the knowledge of the candidate with theory-based questions on topics, such as bleeding management, ventilation, cardiology, oxygen therapy, and many more. The exam is computerized, adaptive, and consists of 70-120 questions. The psychomotor test examines the practical skills of the candidate to manage different situations, like bleeding, poison emergencies, cardiac arrests, severe injuries, etc.
The NREMT certification in Colorado is valid for a period of 2 years.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate?
- EMT candidate in Colorado should not be less than 18 years of age.
- The candidate should have completed EMT training from a state-approved training center.
- A state-approved CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) training is compulsory for the candidate.
- A passing score of NREMT examination is needed to be submitted by the candidate.
- The aspirant must provide valid proof of his/her legal presence in the U.S.
- Proof of his/her proper mental and physical health is also required.
- The candidate must be fluent in English.
- EMT candidates of Colorado should compulsorily undergo a criminal background check.
- Ability to pass a lift test administered from the EMT’s employing agency.
Special requirements for certification are:
- EMT aspirant must provide an application along with the applicable fee for their certification.
- In Colorado, it is also important for the candidates to successfully pass a practical examination, conducted by a state-approved training center.
What is the Process of EMT Certification in Colorado?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
First of all, the student should get EMT training from a state-approved training institute. In Colorado, EMT training is authorized by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to apply for the NREMT exam, you need to complete the following process:
- Creating the account is the first thing, you need to do. For this, go to the NREMT website and click on “Create New Account”.
- Next thing a candidate needs to do is to create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application” in order to take the exam.
- Now, the candidate must pay the application fee as soon as he/she finishes the online application in order to avoid any hindrance afterward. But, if you wish, you can also pay your fees later.
- Next, the candidate should regularly keep a check on the “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter while monitoring the progress of his/her exam application. For this, the candidate should go to the website’s homepage by logging into the account with the help of the username and password through which, the account was made.
- If NREMT has given your information to the program, but the approval of education program director is still pending, it will show “Submitted” written beside the option of “Course Completion Verification”.
- If it shows “Not Submitted” besides “Application Payment”, it indicates that you need to pay the application fee before you get your ATT Letter.
- If your education program director verifies your course completion process and you have paid the fee, the link – “Print ATT Letter” will appear on the site.
- Now, print your ATT Letter and decide a schedule of your NREMT examination.
Important Note: Only after successful completion of the process of verification, the link of “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
The ATT Letter will guide you as to how to decide the date of your NREMT exam through a website, called Pearson VUE.
Step 3: Background Check
A criminal background check is also important, which is only possible after the examination of the candidate’s fingerprint. You can contact your local law enforcement agency for the fingerprint check-up, which charges a certain amount of fee for it. Then, you need to send the completed fingerprint card and fees to the Colorado Bureau of Investigations.
Colorado EMS Training Schools:
- American River College
Address: 4700, College Oak Drive, Sacramento, California- 95841
Contact Number: (916) 484-8011
Official Website: http://www.arc.losrios.edu/
- City College of San Francisco
Address: 50, Phelan Avenue, San Francisco, California- 94112
Contact Number: (415) 239-3000
- East Los Angeles College
Address: 1301, Avenida Cesar Chavez, Monterey Park, California- 91754-6099
Contact Number: (323) 265-8650
Official Website: http://www.elac.edu/
- El Camino College
Address: 16007, Crenshaw Boulevard, Torrance, California- 90506
Contact Number: 310-532-3670
- Fresno City College
Address: 1101, East University Avenue, Fresno, California- 93741
Contact Number: (559) 442-4600
Fax: (559) 489-2281
Official Website: http://www.fresnocitycollege.edu/
- Mt. San Antonio College
Address: 1100, North Grand Avenue, Walnut, California- 91789
Contact Number: 909-274-7500
- Palomar College
Address: 1140, West Mission Road, San Marcos, California- 92069-1487
Contact Number: 1-760-744-1150
- Saddleback College
Address: 28000, Marguerite Parkway, Mission Viejo, California- 92692
Contact Number: (949) 582-4500
Official Website: http://www.saddleback.edu/
- Santa Rosa Junior College
Address: 1501, Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, California- 95401
Contact Number: (707) 527-4011
Official Website: http://www.santarosa.edu/
- Southwestern College
Address: 900, Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista, California- 91910
Contact Number: (619) 421-6700
Official Website: http://www.swccd.edu/
- Bakersfield College
Address: 1801, Panorama Drive, Bakersfield, California- 93305
Contact Number: 661-395-4011
Official Website: http://www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/
- University of Antelope Valley
Address: 44055, North Sierra Highway, Lancaster, California- 93534
Contact Number: (661) 726-1-911
Fax: (661) 726-5158
- Butte College
Address: 3536, Butte Campus Drive, Oroville, California- 95965
Contact Number: (530) 895-2511
- Sacramento State College of Continuing Education
Address: Napa Hall, Sacramento State, 3000 State University Drive East, Sacramento, California- 95819-6103
Contact Number: (916) 278-4433
Fax: (916) 278-4865
- Crafton Hills College
Address: 11711, Sand Canyon Road, Yucaipa, California- 92399
Contact Number: 909-794-2161
Official Website: http://www.craftonhills.edu/
- Cuesta College
Address: P.O. Box- 8106, San Luis Obispo, California- 93403-8106
Contact Number: (805) 546-3100
Official Website: http://www.cuesta.edu/
- Imperial Valley College
Address: 380, East Aten Road, Imperial, California- 92251
Contact Number: 760-352-8320
- Los Angeles County Health Services
Address: 10100, Pioneer Boulevard, Suite- 200, Santa Fe Springs, California- 90670
Contact Number: (562) 347-1500
Fax: (562) 941-5835
- Mendocino College
Address: 1000, Hensley Creek Road, Ukiah, California- 95482
Contact Number: (707) 468-3000
- National College of Technical Instruction
Address: 333, Sunrise Avenue, Suite- 500, Roseville, California- 95661
Contact Number: 916-960-6284
- UCLA Center for Prehospital Care
Address: 10990, Wilshire Boulevard, Suite-1450, Los Angeles, California- 90024
Contact Number: (310) 267-5959
Fax: (310) 312-9322
Official Website: https://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/
- Ventura College
Address: 4667, Telegraph Road, Ventura, California- 93003
Contact Number: (805) 289-6000
- Victor Valley College
Address: 10, Commercial Boulevard, Suite- 204, Novato, California- 94949
Contact Number: (415) 506-0234
EMS Contact Information:
For further details on EMT certification in Colorado, contact the below mentioned address:
Colorado Department of Health & Environment
4300 Cherry Creek Drive,
Denver, Colorado- 80246-1530
Contact Number: (303) 692-2980