The Rundown of EMT Certification in New York:
New York EMT and Paramedics must complete and pass a State Sponsored EMS Course and examination process. New York does not rely on the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians Exam that many of the states in the USA are moving to.
The New York EMT and Paramedic exam covers the exact same material as the NREMT exam with exception to some changes in local protocols.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In New York?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
You can view the EMT Basic curriculum here: http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/basic.htm
The New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services offers certification at the following levels:
- Certified First Responder (CFR)
- Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B)
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate (AEMT-I)
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician – Critical Care (AEMT-CC)
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (AEMT-P)
Course information can be obtained by contacting one of the following:
Only Bureau of EMS approved Course Sponsors are allowed to teach the New York State Bureau of EMS certification courses listed above.
- EMS Course Sponsors – Updated 4/2014 (PDF, 96KB)
Each Regional Council receives notification of upcoming courses within their region. The Regional Council should be your first contact to determine what courses are planned for your area.
Most EMS Program Agencies are approved to teach certified instructor courses such as CLI, CIC and instructor updates.
Agencies Eligible for Bureau of EMS Training Reimbursement Funds
- Agencies Eligible (PDF, 160KB)
If you need additional information about EMT training contact the Bureau of EMS Education Unit at (518) 402-0996 Extension 1 then option 4.
Step 2: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: Apply For License
New York EMT licenses are acquired from the state. As testing is handled by New York State, Students are recommended to follow guidelines provided by your class instructor.
New York DOH Bureau of EMS
875 Central Avenue
Albany, NY 12206-1388
EMS Training Schools in New York:
- Regional Emergency Medical Organization (REMO)
Address: 431 New Karner Road, Albany, New York- 12205
Contact Number: 518-464-5097
- Broome County
Address: 6th Floor, Broome County Office Building, 60 Hawley Street, P.O. Box-1766, Binghamton, New York- 13902
Contact Number: 607-778-2109
- Olean General Hospital
Address: 515 Main Street, Olean, New York- 14760
Contact Number: 716-373-2600
- Arnot Ogden Medical Center
Address: 600 Roe Avenue, Elmira, New York- 14905
Contact Number: 607-737-4100
- Dutchess Community College
Address: 53 Pendell Road, Poughkeepsie, New York- 12601–1595
Contact Number: 845-431-8000
- Fulton-Montgomery Community College
Address: 2805 State Highway 67, Johnstown, New York- 12095
Contact Number: 518-736- 3622
- Jefferson Community College
Address: 1220 Coffeen Street, Watertown, New York- 13601
Contact Number: 888-435-6522 / 315-786-2200
- Monroe Community College
Address: 1000 East Henrietta Road, Rochester, New York- 14623
Contact Number: 585-292-2000
- Niagara County Community College
Address: 3111 Saunders Settlement Road, Sanborn, New York- 14132
Contact Number: 716-614-6222
- Niagara University
Address: 5795 Lewiston Road, New York- 14109
Contact Number: 716-285-1212
- Onondaga County EMS Bureau
Address: 421 Montgomery Street, Sub-level Syracuse, New York- 13202
Contact Number: 315-435-2525
- Finger Lakes Community College
Address: 3325 Marvin Sands Drive, Canandaigua, New York- 14424
Contact Number: 585-394-3500
- Finger Lakes Regional EMS Council
Address: 90 Pulteney Street, Geneva, New York- 14456
Contact Number: 315-789-0108 / 1-800-357-3672
- Mobile Life Support Services, Inc.
Address: 3188 US Route 9W, New Windsor, New York- 12553
Contact Number: 845-562-4368
- Oswego County Emergency Management Office
Address: Oswego County Branch Building, 200 North Second Street, Fulton, New York- 13069
Contact Number: 315-591-9150
- Rockland Paramedic Services, Inc.
Address: 540 Chestnut Ridge Road, Chestnut Ridge, New York- 10977
Contact Number: 845-627-8613
- SUNY Cobleskill
Address: State Route 7, Cobleskill, New York- 12043
Contact Number: 518-255-5011
- SUNY Canton- State University of New York
Address: 34 Cornell Drive, Canton, New York- 13617
Contact Number: 315-386-7011 / 1-800-388-7123
- St. James Mercy Health System
Address: 411 Canisteo Street, Hornell, New York- 14843
Contact Number: 607-324-8000
- Suffolk County REMSCO
Address: 360 Yaphank Avenue, Suite 1B, Yaphank, New York- 11980
Contact Number: 631-852-5080
- Suffolk County Community College
Address: 533 College Road, Selden, New York- 11784
Contact Number: 631-451-4000
Official Website: http://www.sunysuffolk.edu/index.asp
- Tioga County Bureau of Fire
Address: 103 Corporate Drive – Lower Level, Owego, New York- 13827
Contact Number: 607-687-8466
- TLC Emergency Medical Services
Address: 638 Burnet Avenue, Syracuse, New York- 13203
Contact Number: 315-422-0211
- Tompkins Cortland Community College
Address: 170 North Street, P.O. Box- 139, Dryden, New York- 13053
Contact Number: 888-567-8211 / 607-844-8211