The Rundown of EMT Certification in Rhode Island:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Rhode Island, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Rhode Island is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In Rhode Island?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to qualify the NREMT examination.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to get national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the Rhode Island license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of Oklahoma makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the Rhode Island license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterward.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears besides “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter and set a timetable for the NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
Once a clean background check is obtained, then the EMT can begin the filling process to obtain the state license. The candidate has to provide the correct and complete information in the application form. Following documents are required to be affixed with the form:
- Copy of the NREMT card
- Copy of CPR certification
- Copy of high school diploma or GED
- Application fee of $120 (either in the form of check or money order drawn on the name of “The General Treasurer, State of Rhode Island”)
Sent these enclosures along with the application form to the below mentioned mailing address:
Rhode Island Department of Health
Division of Health Services Regulation
Emergency Medical Services
Address: 3 Capitol Hill, Room 103, Providence, Rhode Island- 02908-5097
Rhode Island EMS Training/Education Locations:
- Community College of Rhode Island
Address: 400 East Avenue, Warwick, Newport, Rhode Island- 02886-1807
Contact Number: 401-825-1000
Official Website: http://www.ccri.edu/
- The University of Rhode Island
Address: 45 Upper College Road, Kingston, Rhode Island- 02881
Contact Number: 1-401-874-1000
Official Website: http://ww2.uri.edu/
- Brown University
Address: Providence, Rhode Island- 02912
Contact Number: 401-863-1000
Official Website: http://www.brown.edu/
- RI EMS, LLC
Address: 230 Waseca Avenue, Barrington, Rhode Island- 02806
Contact Number: 401 289-2897
Official Website: http://www.ri-ems.com/
- Ozga EMS Training
Address: 1395 Atwood Avenue, Johnston right off route 6, Rhode Island
Contact Number: 401-524-8281
Official Website: http://emt-classes-of-ri.com/Classes.html
- American Safety Programs and Training, Inc.
Address: 1117 Douglas Avenue, Loft 3, North Providence, Rhode Island- 02904
Contact Number: 401-273-6900
Official Website: http://asptems.com/