The Rundown of EMT Certification in Indiana:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Indiana, must pass an exam organised by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Indiana is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get EMT Certificate?
EMT professionals in Indiana must meet the following pre-requisites:
- It is mandatory for the candidate to be of 18 years old or more.
- He/she should pass a state-approved EMT training program in Indiana.
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) from a state-approved institute.
- The candidate must pass NREMT examination in Indiana.
- He/she should also provide evidence of his/her legal presence in the U.S.
- EMT professional should be mentally and physically healthy.
- A background check of the candidate is compulsory.
Special Requirements to Get EMT Certificate
- The application along with the fee must be submitted by the Indiana candidate.
- Candidate should appear and qualify a practical exam, conducted by a state-approved training center.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
First of all, the candidate must get EMT training from a state-approved training center in Indiana. The four levels of EMT training are- EMT-Basic, Advanced EMT, EMT-Intermediate and Paramedic.
Step 2: Appear for the Exam
Professionals, who have done EMT-Basics and Advanced EMT training, must give both state written and practical examinations in Indiana.
State of Indiana Examination – For EMT-Basic & Advanced EMT
The practical and written examinations are managed separately.
- Create a new account by clicking on the link “Create New Account”.
- A new application should be created by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Application fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completing the online application.
- The progress of the application must be checked. Check your “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. Go to the homepage of NREMT website by logging into it with the username and password. Now, click on “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- If “Submitted” appears besides “Course Completion Verification”, it points out that your details have been provided by the NREMT website and it is waiting for the approval of the education program director.
- Before you receive the ATT Letter, you must pay your application fee, if “Not Submitted” appears besides “Application Payment”.
- The link “Print ATT Letter” will appear on your account if your course completion process is properly confirmed by the education program director.
- Now, take a print-out of your ATT Letter and decide a time table of your NREMT exam.
Important Note: The ATT Letter will appear on your account only when your course completion has been confirmed by the education program director.
The ATT Letter will instruct you to schedule your NREMT examination with the help of a website, called ‘Pearson VUE’.
Step 3: License Application
You need to fill the application form for certification, and then, submit it to the following address:
Indiana Department of Homeland Security
302 West Washington Street,
Room E239, Indianapolis, Indiana- 46204
Step 4: Background Check
To complete the online certification, it is necessary for you to go through a background check.
Indiana Training Facilities for EMS:
- Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis
Address: 420 University Boulevard, Indianapolis, Indiana- 46202
Contact Number: 317-274-5555
Official Website: http://www.iupui.edu/
- Ivy Tech Community College
Address: 50 West Fall Creek Parkway North Drive, Indianapolis, Indiana- 46208
Contact Number: 317-921-4800
Official Website: http://www.ivytech.edu/index.html
- Vincennes University
Address: 1002 North First Street, Vincennes, Indiana- 47591
Contact Number: 800-742-9198
Official Website: http://www.vinu.edu/
- Elkhart General Hospital
Address: 600 East Boulevard, Elkhart, Indiana- 46514
Contact Number: 574-294-2621
Official Website: http://www.egh.org/
Indiana EMT Contact Information:
Indiana Department of Homeland Security
EMS Certifications, E239, IGC-S
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2739
Monday-Friday – 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Except state observed holidays
Phone: 1-800-666-7784 or (317) 232-6425 — E-Mail
Fax: (317) 233-0497[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]