The Rundown of EMT Certification in Minnesota:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Minnesota, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Minnesota is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate in Minnesota?
- 18 years of age or more is a must for every candidate in Minnesota.
- The applicant must complete Emergency Medical Technician training from a state-approved training school or college.
- The prospective candidate must pass the NREMT examination.
- The candidate must have a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification.
- The aspirants are required to provide legal proof of their nationality of U.S.
- The candidate must be in good physical health. Strong mental fitness is equally important.
- It is imperative for the candidate to be dexterous in the English language.
- A background check of the candidate is also needed.
Along with the above general requirements, there are some specific pre-requisites that need to be fulfilled for getting the certificate.
- You should submit the application and the fee for certification.
- A state-approved practical examination must be passed by you.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
Firstly, you need to take up EMT training from an institute, which is acknowledged by the state.
Step 2: Application for National Certification
- For applying for national certification, you need to first create an account by clicking on the option of “Create New Account” on the NREMT website.
- After account creation, click on “Create Initial Entry Application” in order to apply for the exam.
- Now, pay the required application fee while completing the online application. Though, the fee can be paid later also, but, it is better if you pay before.
- When you are done with the process of the online application, keep monitoring the progress of your application by regularly looking for your ‘Authorization to Test’ (ATT) Letter. Go to the website’s homepage and log in with your password and username, and then click on “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- If “Submitted” shows adjacent to “Course Completion Verification”, it indicates that your application details have been submitted by the website, and now, it is waiting for the approval of your course completion by the education program director.
- However, if “Not Submitted” appears alongside “Application Payment”, in that case, you need to pay the application fee before you obtain your ATT Letter.
- If your course completion process has been approved by the education program director, and you have paid the application fee, a link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- You need to print your ATT Letter and set a schedule for the NREMT exam.
Important Note: If your verification is complete, only then “Print ATT Letter” will get displayed.
The instructions for setting the timetable for the NREMT exam through ‘Pearson VUE’ website will be provided in your ATT Letter.
The NREMT practical examination will always be conducted by the training programs, accredited by the state.
Step 3: Background Check
You are required to go through a criminal background screening in order to complete the process of online certification.
Step 4: License Application
You can apply online for a license in Minnesota. Go to the “Citizen Login Page” and create your new account. Complete the online application carefully.
The following links will help you to do online registration for certification in Minnesota:
EMS Training Locations:
- Anoka Technical College
Address: 1355 West Highway 10, Anoka, Minnesota- 55303
Contact Number: (763) 433-1100
Official Website: http://www.anokatech.edu/
- Century College
Address: 3300 Century Avenue North, White Bear Lake, Minnesota- 55110
Contact Number: 651-779-3300, 800-228-1978
Official Website: http://www.century.edu/
- Hennepin Technical College
Address: 9000 Brooklyn Boulevard, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota- 55445
Contact Number: 952-995-1300
Official Website: https://www.hennepintech.edu/
- Inver Hills Community College
Address: 2500 East 80th Street, Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota- 55076
Contact Number: 651-450-3000
Official Website: http://www.inverhills.edu/
- Mesabi Range Community & Technical College
Address: 1001 Chestnut Street West, Virginia, Minnesota- 55792
Contact Number: 218-741-3095
Official Website: http://www.mesabirange.edu/
- Northland Community & Technical College
Address: 1101 Highway One East, Thief River Falls, Minnesota- 56701
Contact Number: 218-683-8800
Official Website: http://www.northlandcollege.edu/index.php
- Ridgewater College
Address: 2101 15th Avenue Northwest, Willmar, Minnesota- 56201
Contact Number: (320) 222-5200
Official Website: https://www.ridgewater.edu
- Rochester Community and Technical College
Address: 851 30th Avenue Southeast, Rochester, Minnesota- 55904-4999
Contact Number: (507) 285-7210
Official Website: http://www.rctc.edu/
- South Central College
Address: 1920 Lee Boulevard, North Mankato, Minnesota- 56003
Contact Number: 507-389-7200
Official Website: http://southcentral.edu/
- St. Cloud Technical and Community College
Address: 1540 Northway Drive, St. Cloud, Minnesota- 56303
Contact Number: 320-308-5000, 1-800-222-1009
Official Website: http://www.sctcc.edu/
- Central Lakes College
Address: 501 West College Drive, Brainerd, Minnesota- 56401
Contact Number: (218) 855-8000
Official Website: http://www.clcmn.edu/
- Northwest Technical College
Address: 905 Grant Avenue Southeast, Bemidji, Minnesota- 56601-4907
Contact Number: 218-333-6600
Official Website: http://www.ntcmn.edu/
Online Renewal of EMT License
EMT-Paramedic candidates can also apply online for the renewal of their EMT certificates. The following link will open the application form for renewal of Paramedic candidates: Online Renewal of EMT Certificate After filling all the information, click on “Done”, provided on the top right corner of the form. As you will click on “Done”, it will ask you to choose an option that you would like to perform on your document. You can either save your document as a PDF file, print, email, fax, send to sign or share it.
Maryland EMT Contact Information:
Minnesota Health Licensing Boards
Emergency Medical Services Regulatory Board
2829 University Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
Phone: (651) 201-2800
Toll Free: (800) 747-2011
E-mail: [email protected]