The Rundown of EMT Certification in Wisconsin:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Wisconsin, must pass an exam organised by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Texas is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In Wisconsin?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to qualify the NREMT examination.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit a legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to get national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the Texas license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of Texas makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the Wisconsin license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterwards.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears besides “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter, and set a timetable for NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
To apply for the license, you have to fill the application by going through the instructions mentioned in the form. It is necessary to fill the correct and complete information in the application form, otherwise; your application will get rejected. Documents to be enclosed with the application are:
- Copy of NREMT card.
- Application fee in the form of cheque or money order. These fees are non-refundable.
Information on how and where to submit the candidates EMT Application can be found at the following URL:
Wisconsin EMS Schools:
- Fox Valley Technical College
Address: 1825 North Bluemound Drive, P.O. Box- 2277, Appleton, Wisconsin- 54912-2277
Contact Number: 920-735-5600 / 1-800-735-3882
Official Website: http://www.fvtc.edu/public/
- Lakeshore Technical College
Address: 1290 North Avenue, Cleveland, Wisconsin- 53015
Contact Number: 920-693-1000
Official Website: http://gotoltc.edu/
- Chippewa Valley Technical College
Address: 620 West Clairemont Avenue, Eau Claire, Wisconsin- 54701
Contact Number: 715-833-6200
Official Website: http://www.cvtc.edu/Pages/default.aspx
- Moraine Park Technical College
Address: 235 North National Avenue, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin- 54936-1940
Contact Number: 920-887-1101
Official Website: http://www.morainepark.edu/
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
Address: 2740 West Mason Street, P.O. Box- 19042, Green Bay, Wisconsin- 54307-9042
Contact Number: 920-498-5400
Official Website: http://www.nwtc.edu/Pages/home.aspx
- Blackhawk Technical College
Address: 6004 South County Road G, Janesville, Wisconsin- 53546-9458
Contact Number: 608-758-6900
Official Website: http://www.blackhawk.edu/
- Gateway Technical College
Address: 3520 30th Avenue, Kenosha, Wisconsin- 53144
Contact Number: 262-564-3600
Official Website: https://www.gtc.edu/gateway-technical-college
- Western Technical College
Address: 400 Seventh Street North, La Crosse, Wisconsin- 54601
Contact Number: 608-785-9200 / 800-322-9982
Official Website: http://www.westerntc.edu/
- Herzing University
Address: 555 South Executive Drive, Brookfield, Wisconsin- 53005
Contact Number: 262-649-1710
Official Website: http://www.herzing.edu/
- Milwaukee Area Technical College
Address: 700 West State Street, Milwaukee Wisconsin- 53233
Contact Number: 414-297- 6282
Official Website: http://www.matc.edu/
- Waukesha County Technical College
Address: 800 Main Street, Pewaukee, Wisconsin- 53072
Contact Number: 262-691-5566
Official Website: http://www.wctc.edu/
- Nicolet Area Technical College
Address: 5364 College Drive, Rhinelander, Wisconsin- 54501
Contact Number: 715-365-4410 / 800-544-3039
Official Website: http://www.nicoletcollege.edu/
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College
Address: 505 Pine Ridge Drive, Shell Lake, Wisconsin- 54871-8727
Contact Number: 715-468-2815
Official Website: http://www.witc.edu/
- Northcentral Technical College
Address: 1000 West Campus Drive, Wausau, Wisconsin- 54401
Contact Number: 715-675-3331
Official Website: https://www.ntc.edu/
- Mid-State Technical College
Address: 500 32nd Street North, Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin- 54494
Contact Number: 715-422-5300
Official Website: http://www.mstc.edu/
Wisconsin EMT Contact Information:
Wisconsin Bureau of EMS
1 W. Wilson St.
P.O. BOX 2659
Madison, Wisconsin 53701