The Rundown of EMT Certification in Maryland:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Maryland, must pass an exam organised by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Maryland is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get and EMT Certificate?
- EMT applicants of Maryland must not be less than 18 years of age.
- They should hold a CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification.
- They must have completed EMT training from a state-approved training center.
- NREMT examinations must be passed by all applicants.
- The applicant must submit his/her legal proof of U.S. nationality.
- The prospective applicants must be in good physical and mental health.
- The applicants must be fluent in reading and writing English.
- The candidates must go through a criminal background check.
- The applicant should submit the application for certification, as well as the applicable fee.
- It is mandatory for the applicants to complete a practical exam from a state-approved program.
- If an applicant’s age is around 16 and 17, he/she can apply only after producing written consent of their parents.
- The applicant must also complete a field training/internship of emergency medical services.
- The applicant should be affiliated with a BLS EMS Operational program.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: EMT Training
Firstly, the applicant is required to take EMT training from a state-approved training school or college in Maryland.
Step 2: Application for National Certification
- The applicant must go to the NREMT website, and then create an account on it by clicking on “Create New Account”.
- Now, the applicant must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Next, the application fee must be paid by the applicant while completing the online application process, though it can also be paid later.
- The applicant must check his/her application status and “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter regularly by logging into the NREMT website with the username and password, and by clicking on “Check Initial Entry Application”.
- If “Submitted” appears at the side of “Course Completion Verification”, it connotes that the applicant’s details have been submitted, and the approval about the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- If “Not Submitted” is seen alongside “Application Payment”, in this situation, the applicant is required to pay the application fee before getting the ATT Letter.
- After the applicant has made the payment and the course completion has been authorized by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- Now, the applicant must take a print-out of the ATT Letter and set a timetable for his/her exam.
Important Note: Only if your confirmation has been done successfully, the link “Print ATT Letter” will show up. Nevertheless, the link will not appear if the verification process is not completed.
The ATT Letter contains the directions of scheduling the NREMT exam by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
State-approved EMT training programs manage the NREMT practical examinations.
Step 3: Background Check
The final step, which the applicant is required to complete the process of certification, is a criminal background check. You may consult the course coordinator for further information.
EMS Training in Maryland
- Carroll Community College
Address: 1601 Washington Road, Westminster, Maryland- 21157
Contact Number: 410-386-8000
Official Website: http://www.carrollcc.edu/
- Chesapeake College
Address: P.O. Box- 8, Wye Mills, Maryland- 21679
Contact Number: 410-822-5400
Official Website: http://www.chesapeake.edu/
- College of Southern Maryland
Address: 8730 Mitchell Road, P.O. Box- 910, La Plata, Maryland- 20646-0910
Contact Number: 301-934-2251
Official Website: http://www.csmd.edu/
- Hagerstown Community College
Address: 11400 Robinwood Drive, Hagerstown, Maryland- 21742
Contact Number: 240-500-2000
Official Website: http://www.hagerstowncc.edu/
- Howard Community College
Address: 10901 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, Maryland- 21044
Contact Number: 443-518-1000
Official Website: http://www.howardcc.edu/
- Prince George’s Community College
Address: 301 Largo Road, Largo, Maryland- 20774-2199
Contact Number: 301-336-6000
Official Website: http://www.pgcc.edu/
- University of Maryland-Baltimore County
Address: 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, Maryland- 21250
Contact Number: 410-455-1000
Official Website: http://www.umbc.edu/
- Wor-Wic Community College
Address: 32000 Campus Drive, Salisbury, Maryland- 21804
Contact Number: 410-334-2800
Official Website: http://www.worwic.edu/
- Anne Arundel Community College
Address: 101 College Parkway, Arnold, Maryland- 21012-1895
Contact Number: 410-777-2222
Official Website: http://www.aacc.edu/
- Frederick Community College
Address: 7932 Opossumtown Pike, Frederick, Maryland- 21702
Contact Number: 301-846-2400
Official Website: http://www.frederick.edu/
- Cecil College
Address: One Seahawk Drive, North East, Maryland- 21901
Contact Number: 410-287-1000
Official Website: http://www.cecil.edu
- Baltimore City Community College
Address: 2901 Liberty Heights Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland- 21215-7807
Contact Number: 410-462-8300
Official Website: http://www.bccc.edu
Maryland EMT Contact Information:
Institute for Emergency Medical Service Systems
653 West Pratt Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Email address: email@example.com[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]