The Rundown On How To Gain EMT Certification in California:
The certification issued by NREMT establishes you as an Emergency Medical Technician at the national level. After obtaining National Registry Certification, you can apply for the license from the California department of Emergency Medical Services. The candidate must complete a state approved EMT training course, after which the candidate is able to apply for the NREMT examination. An EMT professional will not get an EMT certificate until and unless he/she takes the training and passes the necessary NREMT examination. The examination consists of a computerized written exam, as well as a practical skills test.
EMT certificate in California remains valid for a period of 2 years. After that, you need to renew it in order to continue your work in this field.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate in California?
- The candidate should meet the minimum age requirement of being 18 years old.
- You must complete EMT training from a program, this program must be accredited by the state of California.
- Passing the NREMT examination is also mandatory.
- The candidates are also required to complete a state-approved CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) training.
- It is important for the candidates to be bodily strong and mentally sound.
- A proof of the citizenship of the United States should also be provided by the candidates.
- A background check of the candidates is also compulsory.
- The candidate must have fluency in English language.
Special requirements are:
- The candidate in California must provide the applicable fees along with the application for the certification process.
- Qualifying the practical exam, conducted by the state, is also needed.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
The following steps are involved in acquiring the process of EMT certification in California:
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The first step needed to get certified as an EMT is a state-approved EMT training, which involves both didactic classes, as well as field training.
Step 2: Application for National Certification
Exams for EMT, AEMT and Paramedic level of certification is taken by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). The candidate needs to follow the following process in order to apply for certification:
- Firstly, the candidate will be required to create an account on the NREMT website through an option of “Create New Account”.
- The option of “Create Initial Entry Application” will let the candidate create a new application.
- Now, you must pay the application fee soon after completing the online application process. Though, you can also pay later.
- The candidate is also required to check his/her application status regularly by logging in through the username and password, with which, he/she has created the account on the website. Go to the homepage and click on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status” for checking your “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter.
- If the link “Submitted” appears next to the option of “Course Completion Verification”, it is an indication that the website has submitted your application details, and it is waiting for the education program director to confirm the completion of your course.
- However, if “Not Submitted” appears on your account next to the option of “Application Payment”, it indicates that you are required to pay the application fee before receiving your ATT Letter.
- The option of “Print ATT Letter” will appear only when you have paid the fee and your education program director has verified the process of course completion.
- Now, take out a printed copy of your ATT Letter and set a date for your exam.
You will find the detailed instructions about scheduling your NREMT examination on your ATT Letter.
Step 3: Background Check of the Candidate
A check on the background of the candidate is very important in order to apply for certification. It includes fingerprint report and a valid photo id of the candidate. Live Scan Fingerprint Services takes the fingerprints of the candidates. You may contact the local “Live Scan Provider” for seeking any other information.
Step 4: Apply for State Certification
After successfully passing the criminal background check, as well as the NREMT test, the candidate need to apply at the local EMS department in order to get his/her EMT certification card. The state EMT certification in California remains valid only for 2 years from the date; it has been issued by the EMS agency.
Step 5: Get Ambulance Drivers Certificate
In order to complete this step, the candidate needs to pass a written paper of “Ambulance Driver”. It will be very helpful if you purchase an “Ambulance Drivers Handbook” from DMV worth $5.00, which will guide you before taking up the exam.
The candidates, who fulfill the following requirements, are considered eligible for getting an Ambulance Drivers Certificate:
- The candidate must be of 18 years old or more.
- The candidate must possess a valid driving license in California, which should not be on departmental probation.
- The candidate must make a payment of $25 to get an original certificate, and $12.00 if he/she wants a duplicate copy, name change or a renewal of the earlier one.
- The candidate needs to pass a written examination of Ambulance Driver.
- A completed application for “Live Scan Service” form should also be provided by the candidate.
- The candidate should either provide a medical examination report or Department of Transportation or Acceptable Federal Aviation Administration medical form.
EMS Training Facilities in California:
- American River College
Address: 4700, College Oak Drive, Sacramento, California- 95841
Contact Number: (916) 484-8011
Official Website: http://www.arc.losrios.edu/
- City College of San Francisco
Address: 50, Phelan Avenue, San Francisco, California- 94112
Contact Number: (415) 239-3000
- East Los Angeles College
Address: 1301, Avenida Cesar Chavez, Monterey Park, California- 91754-6099
Contact Number: (323) 265-8650
Official Website: http://www.elac.edu/
- El Camino College
Address: 16007, Crenshaw Boulevard, Torrance, California- 90506
Contact Number: 310-532-3670
- Fresno City College
Address: 1101, East University Avenue, Fresno, California- 93741
Contact Number: (559) 442-4600
Fax: (559) 489-2281
Official Website: http://www.fresnocitycollege.edu/
- Mt. San Antonio College
Address: 1100, North Grand Avenue, Walnut, California- 91789
Contact Number: 909-274-7500
- Palomar College
Address: 1140, West Mission Road, San Marcos, California- 92069-1487
Contact Number: 1-760-744-1150
- Saddleback College
Address: 28000, Marguerite Parkway, Mission Viejo, California- 92692
Contact Number: (949) 582-4500
Official Website: http://www.saddleback.edu/
- Santa Rosa Junior College
Address: 1501, Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, California- 95401
Contact Number: (707) 527-4011
Official Website: http://www.santarosa.edu/
- Southwestern College
Address: 900, Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista, California- 91910
Contact Number: (619) 421-6700
Official Website: http://www.swccd.edu/
- Bakersfield College
Address: 1801, Panorama Drive, Bakersfield, California- 93305
Contact Number: 661-395-4011
Official Website: http://www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/
- University of Antelope Valley
Address: 44055, North Sierra Highway, Lancaster, California- 93534
Contact Number: (661) 726-1-911
Fax: (661) 726-5158
- Butte College
Address: 3536, Butte Campus Drive, Oroville, California- 95965
Contact Number: (530) 895-2511
- Sacramento State College of Continuing Education
Address: Napa Hall, Sacramento State, 3000 State University Drive East, Sacramento, California- 95819-6103
Contact Number: (916) 278-4433
Fax: (916) 278-4865
- Crafton Hills College
Address: 11711, Sand Canyon Road, Yucaipa, California- 92399
Contact Number: 909-794-2161
Official Website: http://www.craftonhills.edu/
- Cuesta College
Address: P.O. Box- 8106, San Luis Obispo, California- 93403-8106
Contact Number: (805) 546-3100
Official Website: http://www.cuesta.edu/
- Imperial Valley College
Address: 380, East Aten Road, Imperial, California- 92251
Contact Number: 760-352-8320
- Los Angeles County Health Services
Address: 10100, Pioneer Boulevard, Suite- 200, Santa Fe Springs, California- 90670
Contact Number: (562) 347-1500
Fax: (562) 941-5835
- Mendocino College
Address: 1000, Hensley Creek Road, Ukiah, California- 95482
Contact Number: (707) 468-3000
- National College of Technical Instruction
Address: 333, Sunrise Avenue, Suite- 500, Roseville, California- 95661
Contact Number: 916-960-6284
- UCLA Center for Prehospital Care
Address: 10990, Wilshire Boulevard, Suite-1450, Los Angeles, California- 90024
Contact Number: (310) 267-5959
Fax: (310) 312-9322
Official Website: https://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/
- Ventura College
Address: 4667, Telegraph Road, Ventura, California- 93003
Contact Number: (805) 289-6000
- Victor Valley College
Address: 10, Commercial Boulevard, Suite- 204, Novato, California- 94949
Contact Number: (415) 506-0234
- Foothill College
Address: 4000 Middlefield Road Suite I, Palo Alto, CA 94303
Contact Number: (650) 949-6955
Official Website: https://foothill.edu/bio
California EMS Contact Information:
10901 Gold Center Drive, Suite 400
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
- EMSA Main Phone Number: (916) 322-4336
- FAX: (916) 322-1441
- Paramedic Licensure: (916) 323-9875
- Licensure Fax: (916) 324-2875