The Rundown of EMT Certification in Utah:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Utah, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Utah is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In Utah?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to possess a high school diploma or GED.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must be able to pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
Step 2: Submit Application for State Certification
In order to get a national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the Utah license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of Texas makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the Texas license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterward.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears beside “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter and set a timetable for the NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
The next step after completing the training is to apply for the certification.
- The applicant has to create an account by visiting the official website of the Bureau of EMS at the URL https://bems.utah.gov/bems/.
- Select the course and enroll by using the “Enrolment Code”, which is provided by the instructor of the course.
- Fill out the information required in the application form.
- It is essential to enclose the following:
- Your photo to be used in the EMS ID badge, the photo should be taken as if for a Passport.
- A copy of CPR certification
- Certification Fees
- A negative result of a Tuberculosis test
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
To apply for the license, you have to fill the application by going through the instructions mentioned in the form. It is necessary to fill the correct and complete information in the application form, otherwise; your application will get rejected. Documents to be enclosed with the application are:
- Copy of NREMT card.
- Pat any associated fees according to the Utah Certification Fee Schedule.
- Fill out and submit the application for EMS certification.
State Approved Education Centers in Utah:
- Weber State University
Address: 3848 Harrison Boulevard, Ogden, Utah- 84408
Contact Number: 801-626-6000 / 801-626-6460
Official Website: https://www.weber.edu/
- Davis Applied Technology College
Address: 550 East 300 South, Kaysville, Utah- 84037-2699
Contact Number: 801-593-2500
Official Website: https://www.datc.edu/
- Dixie State University
Address: 225 South 700 East Street, George, Utah- 84770
Contact Number: 435-652-7500
Official Website: http://www.dixie.edu/
- Brigham Young University
Address: Provo, Utah- 84602
Contact Number: 801-422-4636 / 801-422-1211
Official Website: http://home.byu.edu/home/
- Mountainland Applied Technology College
Address: 1410 Business Park Drive, Orem, Utah- 84058
Contact Number: 801-753-6282
- Salt Lake Community College
Address: 4600 South Redwood Road, Salt Lake City, Utah- 84123
Contact Number: 801-957-7522
Official Website: http://www.slcc.edu/
- The University of Utah
Address: 201 Presidents Circle, Room 201 SLC, Utah- 84112
Contact Number: 801-581-7200
Official Website: http://www.utah.edu/
- Utah State University
Address: Logan, Utah- 84322
Contact Number: 435-797-1000
Official Website: http://www.usu.edu/
- Utah Valley University
Address: 800 West University Parkway, Orem, Utah- 84058
Contact Number: 801-863-4636
Official Website: http://www.uvu.edu/
Utah EMT Contact Information:
3760 S Highland Dr, Fl 4 & 5
Salt Lake City UT
(Do not mail to this address; use our mailing address, above)
Hours: Monday–Friday, 8:00am–5:00pm, except state holidays
Fax for certification paperwork: 801-274-0738