The Rundown of EMT Certification in Missouri:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Missouri, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Missouri is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
EMT Certification Requirements
The EMT applicants have to fulfill the following requirements in order to obtain an EMT certificate:
- The candidates have to attain an age of 18 years or above.
- High General Education Development (GED) or school diploma is the minimum educational requirement.
- All the applicants have to complete training coursework from a state accredited EMT school.
- Prospective EMTs have to finish state approved CPR certification.
- It is indispensable for the candidates to have a capacity of lifting 120 pounds.
- It is also mandatory for the EMT applicants to communicate and read the English language.
- A valid driving license is also an imperative requirement.
- The prospective EMTs have to submit fingerprints and pass a drug test.
- All the EMT applicants have to clear a background check.
Special requirements to be fulfilled:
- The candidate must successfully qualify state practical as well as NREMT examinations.
- It is essential for the candidates to deposit an application along with the required amount of fees.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: EMT Training
Firstly, the applicant is required to take EMT training from a state-approved training school or college in Missouri.
Step 2: Application for National Certification
- The applicant must go to the NREMT website, and then create an account on it by clicking on “Create New Account”.
- Now, the applicant must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Next, the application fee must be paid by the applicant while completing the online application process, though it can also be paid later.
- The applicant must check his/her application status and “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter regularly by logging into the NREMT website with the username and password, and by clicking on “Check Initial Entry Application”.
- If “Submitted” appears at the side of “Course Completion Verification”, it connotes that the applicant’s details have been submitted, and the approval about the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- If “Not Submitted” is seen alongside “Application Payment”, in this situation, the applicant is required to pay the application fee before getting the ATT Letter.
- After the applicant has made the payment and the course completion has been authorized by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- Now, the applicant must take a print-out of the ATT Letter and set a timetable for his/her exam.
Important Note: Only if your confirmation has been done successfully, the link “Print ATT Letter” will show up. Nevertheless, the link will not appear if the verification process is not completed.
The ATT Letter contains the directions of scheduling the NREMT exam by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
State-approved EMT training programs manage the NREMT practical examinations.
Step 3: Background Check
The final step, which the applicant is required to complete the process of certification, is a criminal background check. You may consult the course coordinator for further information.
- Finally, fill the EMS Personnel License Application. Remember that incompletely files and incorrect applications are not acceptable. Xerox of National Registry EMT Card should be enclosed with your application. Completely filled applications should be mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Missouri EMS Training Facilities:
- Crowder College
Address: 601, Laclede Avenue, Neosho, Missouri- 64850
Contact Number: 417-451-3223
- Ozarks Technical Community College
Address: 1001, East Chestnut Expressway, Springfield, Missouri- 65802
Contact Number: 417-447-7500
- East Central College
Address: 1964, Prairie Dell Road, Union, Missouri- 63084
Contact Number: 636-584-6500
Official Website: http://www.eastcentral.edu/
- Metropolitan Community College
Address: 3200, Broadway, Kansas City, Missouri- 64111
Contact Number: 816-604-1000
- Jefferson College
Address: 1000, Viking Drive, Hillsboro, Missouri- 63050
Contact Number: 636-797-3000 or 636-942-3000
- Missouri Southern State University
Address: 3950, Newman Road, Joplin, Missouri- 64801-1595
Contact Number: 417-625-9300
- Saint Louis Community College
Address: 11333, Big Bend Road, St. Louis, Missouri- 63122
Contact Number: 314-984-7500
- Saint Charles Community College
Address: 4601, Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Cottleville, Missouri- 63376
Contact Number: 636-922-8000
Official Website: http://www.stchas.edu/
- Three Rivers Community College
Address: 2080, Three Rivers Boulevard, Poplar Bluff, Missouri- 63901
Contact Number: 877-879-8722
- Cape Girardeau Career and Technology Center
Address: 1080, South Silver Springs Road, Cape Girardeau, Missouri- 63703
Contact Number: 573-334-0826
Official Website: http://www.capectc.org/
- Southwest Baptist University
Address: 1600, University Avenue, Bolivar, Missouri-65613
Contact Number: (800) 526-5859 / (417) 328-5281
Official Website: http://www.sbuniv.edu/
- Grand River Technical School
Address: 1200, Fair Street, Chillicothe, Missouri- 64601
Contact Number: 660-646-3414
Official Website: http://www.grts.org/
- Sanford-Brown College
Address: 1345, Smizer Mill Road, Fenton, Missouri- 63026
Contact Number: 636-651-1600
Official Website: http://www.sanfordbrown.edu/
- Texas County Technical College
Address: 6915, South Highway 63, Houston, Missouri- 65483
Contact Number: (800) 835-1130 / (417) 967-5466
Official Website: http://texascountytech.edu/
- Mineral Area College
Address: 5270, Flat River Road, P.O. Box- 1000, Park Hills, Missouri- 63601
Contact Number: (573) 431-4593
Official Website: http://www.mineralarea.edu/
- Rolla Public Schools
Address: 500, A Forum Drive, Rolla, Missouri-65401
Contact Number: (573) 458-0100
Fax: (573) 458-0105
- North Central Missouri College
Address: 1301, Main Street, Trenton, Missouri- 64683
Contact Number: 660-359-3948
- Waynesville Career Center
Address: 400, G.W. Lane, Waynesville, Missouri- 65583
Contact Number: 573-842-2500
- South Central Career Centre
Address: 407, West Thornburgh, West Plains, Missouri- 65775
Contact Number: 417-256-6152
Missouri EMT Contact Information: