EMT Certification Rundown:
Students must complete EMT training from a state-approved institute in order to get EMT certification in Hawaii. Students receive their EMT certification from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, which provide registration to all the emergency medical technicians from all over the country. The student needs to pass both the written and practical NREMT exams, and then, they are certified as national EMT.
The candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate in Hawaii?
Hawaii candidates need to fulfil the following pre-requisites in order to get certified as an EMT professional:
- He/she should not be less than 18 years of age.
- The candidate in Hawaii must get trained as an EMT from a state-approved training school.
- He/she must complete CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) training from a state-approved program.
- EMT candidates need to clear the NREMT exam.
- A proof of candidate’s legal presence in the state should be submitted.
- He/she should be mentally and physically fit and fine.
- English proficiency is a must.
- Candidates must also go through a background check.
Other special requirements for getting EMT certification are to pass a state-approved practical exam and submission of the renewal application along with the requisite fee.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get Training
Candidates must complete EMT training from a state-approved training institute.
Step 2: Application for National Certification
- The candidate needs to create his/her account on the NREMT website by clicking on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate should click on “Create Initial Entry Application” for creating a new application.
- The application fee must be paid by the candidate as soon as the process of online application is completed.
- Now, the candidate must check the status of his/her application process and find whether your ‘Authorization to Test’ (ATT) Letter has been uploaded on the website’s homepage or not. For this, you need to sign in with your password and username. Click on the link, “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- If NREMT website has submitted the details of the candidate and it is waiting for the approval of the education program director about the course completion, then “Submitted” will appear besides “Course Completion Verification”.
- If “Not Submitted” appears besides “Application Payment”, then you will have to pay the application fee before you receive your ATT Letter.
- After the payment of fees and verification of the course completion by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate should take out a print copy of his/her ATT Letter. The timetable of the NREMT examination can be decided with the help of instructions provided on the letter.
State-approved training programs will conduct the NREMT practical examinations.
Step 3: Background Check of the Candidate
The candidate must undergo a criminal background check in order to complete the certification process.
Step 4: License Application
In order to obtain the state license, the candidate must fill the application form, and submit the following documents with it:
- A clear copy of the course completion certificate by a state-approved training program.
- A copy of current NREMT certificate.
- Initial certification fee.
EMS Training in Hawaii:
- Kapi‘olani Community College
Address: 4303 Diamond Head Road, Honolulu, Hawaii- 96816
Contact Number: (808) 734-9000, (808) 734-9555
Hawaii EMT Contact Information:
State of Hawaii
Department of Health
Emergency Medical Services & Injury Prevention System Branch
3675 Kilauea Avenue
Trotter Building, Basement Level
Honolulu, HI 96816 USA
Phone: (808) 733-9210
Administration Fax: (808) 733-9216
Medical Records Request/Billing Fax: (808) 733-8332