The Rundown of EMT Certification in Iowa:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Iowa, must pass an exam organised by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Iowa is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
Requirements to Get EMT Certificate
Following are the general requirements to be fulfilled by an EMT candidate of Iowa:
- The candidate in Iowa must be at least 18 years of age.
- EMT training from a state-approved training school should be taken by the candidate.
- Candidates must pass a state-approved CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) training.
- The aspirants should pass the necessary NREMT examination.
- They should submit a proof of their lawful presence in the U.S.
- The aspirant should be psychologically and physically strong.
- He/she should be good in English.
- It is mandatory for the candidate to go through a background check.
- An application to the state must be submitted by the candidate along with the necessary fee.
- Candidate should also clear a state-approved practical examination.
Process of EMT Certification
Step 1: Get EMT Training
EMT professionals in Iowa should first complete their EMT training from a state-approved training center.
Step 2: Application for National Certification
- Go to the NREMT website and create a new account by clicking on the link “Create New Account”.
- Now, click on the option of “Create Initial Entry Application” in order to create a new application.
- Now, finish the process of online application by paying the application fee. You can also choose to pay later.
- Monitor the process of your application by checking the “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. Log in to the NREMT website with the username and password through which, you created your account earlier. Now, click on “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- If the site has provided your information and is waiting for the approval of the education program director, then “Submitted” will appear besides “Course Completion Verification”.
- You need to shell out the application fee before you get your ATT Letter, if the option of “Not Submitted” appears besides “Application Payment”.
- “Print ATT Letter” can be seen on the account after your application has been verified by the education program director and you have made the payment.
Important Note: If the verification is not completed, the link “Print ATT Letter” will not appear on the screen.
The instructions to decide a timetable of your NREMT examination will be described in your ATT Letter.
The NREMT practical examinations will be conducted by the state-approved training institutes in Iowa.
Step 3: Background Check
The background check of the candidate is mandatory in order to complete the certification process in Iowa.
Iowa EMS Training Locations:
- Des Moines Area Community College
Address: 2006 South Ankeny Boulevard, Ankeny, Iowa- 50023
Contact Number: 515-964-6200
Official Website: https://go.dmacc.edu
- Eastern Iowa Community Colleges
Address: 306 West River Drive Davenport, Iowa- 52801
Contact Number: 1-800-462-3255
Official Website: http://www.eicc.edu/
- Indian Hills Community College
Address: 525 Grandview Avenue, Ottumwa, Iowa- 52501
Contact Number: (641) 683-5111, (800) 726-2585
Official Website: http://www.indianhills.edu/
- Iowa Central Community College
Address: One Triton Circle, Fort Dodge, Iowa- 50501
Contact Number: 800-362-2793, 515-576-7201
Official Website: http://www.iowacentral.edu/
- Iowa Western Community College
Address: 2700 College Road, Council Bluffs, Iowa- 51503
Contact Number: 712-325-3200, 800-432-5852
Official Website: http://www.iwcc.edu/
- Kirkwood Community College
Address: 6301 Kirkwood Boulevard South-west, Cedar Rapids, Iowa- 52404
Contact Number: 319-398-5411, 800-332-2055
Official Website: http://www.kirkwood.edu/
- North Iowa Area Community College
Address: 500 College Drive, Mason City, Iowa- 50401
Contact Number: 641-422-4245
Official Website: http://www.niacc.edu/
- Northeast Iowa Community College
Address: 1625 Highway 150 South, P.O. Box- 400, Calmar, Iowa- 52132
Contact Number: 800-728-2256, 563-562-3263
Official Website: https://www.nicc.edu/
- Southeastern Community College
Address: 1500 West Agency Road, P.O. Box- 180, West Burlington, Iowa- 52655-0810
Contact Number: 319-752-2731
Official Website: http://www.scciowa.edu/
- Western Iowa Tech Community College
Address: 4647 Stone Avenue, P.O. Box- 5199, Sioux City, Iowa- 51102-5199
Contact Number: 712-274-6400
Official Website: http://www.witcc.edu/
- University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
Address: 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, Iowa- 52242
Contact Number: 866-452-8507
Official Website: http://www.uihealthcare.org/otherservices.aspx?id=1670
- Mercy Medical Center
Address: 1111 6th Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa- 50314
Contact Number: 515-247-3121
Official Website: http://www.mercydesmoines.org/
Iowa EMT Contact Information:
Iowa Department of Public Health
321 E. 12th Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0075
(515) 281-7689 or toll-free at 1-866-227-9878[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]