The Rundown of EMT Certification in Michigan:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Michigan, must pass an exam organised by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Michigan is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In Michigan?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to qualify the NREMT examination.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit a legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to get national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the Michigan license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of Michigan makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the Michigan license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterwards.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears besides “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter, and set a timetable for NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
The candidate must fill the ‘Michigan Course Completion Application for Licensure’ form, and attach the following documents along with it.
- Non-refundable application fee, that must be paid either through a check or money order drawn on the name of Michigan Department of Community Health – Emergency Medical Services. Don’t pay through cash.
The amount of fees that must be paid is given below:
- Medical First Responder – No Fee
- EMT-Basic – $40
- EMT-Advanced – $60
- EMT-Paramedic – $80
Important Note: The verification of the results of the NREMT exams is done by the state; therefore, it is not necessary for the candidates to submit the exam results.
Along with fee, mail the application to:
Michigan Department of Community Health-EMS Section
P.O. Box- 30437
Lansing, Michigan- 48909
Michigan State Approved EMS Training Programs:
- Schoolcraft College
Address: 18600 Haggerty Road, Livonia, Michigan- 48152
Contact Number: 734-462-4400
Official Website: http://www.schoolcraft.edu/
- Mid Michigan Community College
Address: 1375 South Clare Avenue, Harrison, Michigan- 48625
Contact Number: (989) 386-6622
Official Website: http://www.midmich.edu/
- Lansing Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 40010, Lansing, Michigan- 48901-7210
Contact Number: (517) 483-1957, (800) 644-4522
Official Website: http://www.lcc.edu/
- Oakland Community College
Address: 2480 Opdyke Road, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan- 48304
Contact Number: 248-341-2000
Official Website: https://www.oaklandcc.edu/
- Macomb Community College
Address: 14500 East 12 Mile Road, Warren, Michigan- 48088
Contact Number: 586-445-7999
Official Website: http://www.macomb.edu/
- Wayne County Community College District
Address: 801 West Fort Street, Detroit, Michigan- 48226
Contact Number: 313-496-2600
Official Website: http://www.wcccd.edu/
- Henry Ford Community College
Address: 5101 Evergreen Road, Dearborn, Michigan- 48128
Contact Number: (313) 845-6403
Official Website: https://www.hfcc.edu/
- Mott Community College
Address: 1401 East Court Street, Flint, Michigan- 48503
Contact Number: 810-762-0200
Official Website: http://www.mcc.edu/
- Baker College of Clinton Township
Address: 34950 Little Mack Avenue, Clinton Township, Michigan- 48035
Contact Number: (586) 791-6610
Official Website: https://www.baker.edu/current-students/clinton-township/
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College
Address: 230 North Rose Street, Kalamazoo, Michigan- 49003
Contact Number: 269-488-4400
Official Website: https://www.kvcc.edu/
- Baker College of Muskegon
Address: 1903 Marquette Avenue, Muskegon, Michigan- 49442-1490
Contact Number: (231) 777-6500
Fax: (231) 777-6501
Official Website: https://www.baker.edu/
- Kellogg Community College
Address: 450 North Avenue, Battle Creek, Michigan- 49017
Contact Number: 269-965-3931
Official Website: http://www.kellogg.edu/
- Lake Michigan College
Address: 2755 East Napier Avenue, Benton Harbor, Michigan- 49022
Contact Number: (269) 927-1000, 1-800-252-1562
Official Website: http://www.lakemichigancollege.edu/
- Southwestern Michigan College
Address: 58900 Cherry Grove Road, Dowagiac, Michigan- 49047
Contact Number: 800-456-8675
Official Website: http://www.swmich.edu/
- North Central Michigan College
Address: 1515 Howard Street, Petoskey, Michigan- 49770
Contact Number: (888) 298-6605
Official Website: http://www.ncmich.edu/
- Lake Superior State University
Address: 650 West Easterday Avenue, Sault Street Marie, Michigan- 49783
Contact Number: (906) 632-6841
Official Website: http://www.lssu.edu/
- Siena Heights University
Address: 1247 East Siena Heights Drive, Adrian, Michigan- 49221
Contact Number: (800) 521-0009
Official Website: http://www.sienaheights.edu/
- Montcalm Community College
Address: 2800 College Drive, Sidney, Michigan- 48885
Contact Number: 989-328-2111
Official Website: http://www.montcalm.edu/
- Kirtland Community College
Address: 10775 North Street Helen Road, Roscommon, Michigan- 48653
Contact Number: (989) 275-5000
Official Website: http://www.kirtland.edu/
- Glen Oaks Community College
Address: 62249 Shimmel Road, Centreville, Michigan- 49032
Contact Number: (269) 467-9945
Official Website: http://www.glenoaks.edu/Pages/default.aspx
- West Shore Community College
Address: 3000 North Stiles Road, Scottville, Michigan- 49454
Contact Number: 231-845-6211
Official Website: http://www.westshore.edu/
- Gogebic Community College
Address: E-4946 Jackson Road, Ironwood, Michigan- 49938
Contact Number: 906-932-4231
Official Website: http://www.gogebic.edu/
- Bay Mills Community College
Address: 12214 West Lakeshore Drive, Brimley, Michigan- 49715
Contact Number: 1-906-248-3354
Official Website: http://www.bmcc.edu/Pages/default.aspx
- Huron Valley Ambulance Center for EMS Education
Address: 1200 State Circle, Ann Arbor, Michigan- 48108
Contact Number: (734) 477-6331
Official Website: https://hvaedu.org/home.htm
- McLaren Oakland
Address: 50 North Perry Street, Pontiac, Michigan- 48342
Contact Number: (248) 338-5000
Official Website: http://www.mclaren.org/oakland/Oakland.aspx
- Jackson College
Address: 2111 Emmons Road, Jackson, Michigan- 49201
Contact Number: 517-787-0800
Official Website: http://www.jccmi.edu/
Michigan EMT Contact Information:
Michigan Department of Community Health
Capitol View Building
201 Townsend Street
Lansing, Michigan 48913