The Rundown of EMT Certification in Virginia:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Virginia, must pass an exam organised by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Texas is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In Virginia?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to qualify the NREMT examination.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit a legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to get national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the Texas license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of Texas makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the Texas license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterwards.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears besides “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter, and set a timetable for NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
To apply for the license, you have to fill the application by going through the instructions mentioned in the form. It is necessary to fill the correct and complete information in the application form, otherwise; your application will get rejected. Documents to be enclosed with the application are:
- Copy of NREMT card.
- Your instructor will provide you with the specifics in how to apply for lisensure. Candidates can also make contact with with the Virginia EMS office. Information located below.
EMS Training in Virginia:
- Virginia Highlands Community College
Address: P.O. Box 828, Abingdon, Virginia- 24212
Contact Number: 276-739-2400 / 877-207-6115
Official Website: http://www.vhcc.edu/
- Southside Virginia Community College
Address: 109 Campus Drive, Alberta, Virginia- 23821
Contact Number: 434-949-1000
Official Website: http://www.southside.edu/
- Northern Virginia Community College
Address: 8333, Little River Turnpike, Annandale, Virginia- 22003
Contact Number: 703-323-3000 / 877-408-2028
Official Website: http://www.nvcc.edu/index.html
- Mountain Empire Community College
Address: 3441 Mountain Empire Road, Big Stone Gap, Virginia- 24219
Contact Number: 276-523-2400
Official Website: http://www.me.vccs.edu/
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
Address: 501 College Drive, Charlottesville, Virginia- 22902
Contact Number: 434-977-3900
Official Website: http://www.pvcc.edu/
- Thomas Nelson Community College
Address: 99 Thomas Nelson Drive, Hampton, Virginia- 23666
Contact Number: 757-825-2700
Official Website: http://tncc.edu/
- Central Virginia Community College
Address: 3506 Wards Road, Lynchburg, Virginia- 24502-2498
Contact Number: 434-832-7600
Official Website: http://cvcc.vccs.edu/
- Patrick Henry Community College
Address: 645 Patriot Avenue, Martinsville, Virginia- 24112
Contact Number: 276-638-8777
Official Website: http://www.ph.vccs.edu/
- Tidewater Community College
Address: 121 College Place, Norfolk, Virginia- 23510-1938
Contact Number: 800-371-0898
Official Website: http://www.tcc.edu/
- Southwest Virginia Community College
Address: 724 Community College Road, Cedar Bluff, Virginia-24609
Contact Number: 276-964-2555 / 276-964-7238
Official Website: http://sw.edu/
- J Sargeant Reynolds Community College
Address: 1851 Dickinson Road, Goochland, Virginia- 23063
Contact Number: 804-371-3000
Official Website: http://reynolds.edu/site/home.aspx
- Jefferson College of Health Sciences
Address: 101 Elm Avenue, Southeast Roanoke, Virginia- 24013
Contact Number: 1-888-985-8483
Official Website: http://www.jchs.edu/
- National College
Address: 1515 Country Club Road, Harrisonburg, Virginia- 22802
Contact Number: 540-432-0943
Official Website: http://www.national-college.edu/
Virginia EMT Contact Information:
1041 Technology Park Drive
Glen Allen, VA 23059 • Directions
1-800-523-6019 (VA only) • 804-888-9100 (Main Office)
804-888-9120 (Training Office) • 804-371-3108 (Fax)[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]