The Rundown of EMT Certification in Florida:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Florida, must pass an exam organised by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Florida is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
- EMT aspirant should be of 18 years of age.
- Completion of training from a state-recognized institute is mandatory.
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification is essential to be maintained by the candidate.
- The candidate must clear both portions- cognitive and psychomotor of the NREMT examination.
- An evidence of legal presence of the candidate in the United States is important to be provided by the candidate.
- He/she should possess strong endurance and good mental health.
- You should be good at understanding, writing and speaking English language.
- A background check of the candidate is also mandatory.
Special Requirements to Get EMT Certificate in Florida
- Application for the certification and the pertinent fee should be submitted by the candidate.
- A practical examination, conducted by the state, is also needed to be passed by the candidate.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get Trained
Candidates in Florida should first complete the EMT training program successfully by a state-approved school.
Step 2: Submission of Application for National Certification
- The first step is to create a new account. For this, go to the NREMT site and click on “Create New Account”.
- After this, the candidate needs to create a new application by taking your mouse cursor on the link “Create Initial Entry Application” and clicking on it.
- The candidate should pay the application fee as soon as he/she completes the online application process.
- The progress of the application process and the “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter should be checked regularly on the homepage of the NREMT website. You should sign in by using your username and password, and then, hit on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The website has submitted the candidate’s details, if “Submitted” appears besides “Course Completion Verification”. It also connotes that the approval has been granted by the education program director.
- However, if “Not Submitted” appears besides “Application Payment”, it means that the candidate needs to make the payment of the fees for getting the ATT Letter.
- After the course completion process has been checked by the education program director and the payment of the application fee has been made, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- After taking the printed ATT Letter, the candidate needs to set the timetable for the NREMT exam as per the procedure, provided in the letter.
All the practical examinations of NREMT will be managed by the state-approved training programs.
Step 3: Apply for License
The candidate must complete the online application by logging in the website of ‘Florida Health’. The candidates will get a reply of their application in around 10-13 business days.
Besides the application form, you are ought to provide the following documents:
- The candidate must provide a clear copy of the course completion certificate.
- The candidate must also provide copies of NREMT certificate.
- A both-sided copy of CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification is also needed to be submitted by the candidate.
- The candidate should pay the initial certification fee of $35.00 through a check, made to the “Department of Health” (DOH).
Step 4: Background Check of the Candidate
In order to complete the process of certification, the last thing a candidate needs to do is to pass a criminal background check. For this, the candidate requires to contact the EMT course coordinator. Background screening may also be needed for the purpose of employment.
EMS Training Centers in Florida:
- Eastern Florida State College
Address: 1519 Clearlake Road, Cocoa, Florida- 32922
Contact Number: (321) 632-1111
Official Website: http://www.easternflorida.edu/
- Broward College
Address: 111 East Las Olas Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, Florida- 33301
Contact Number: 954-201-7350
Official Website: http://www.broward.edu/Pages/home.aspx
- Hillsborough Community College
Address: Southshore Campus, 551 24th Street North East, Ruskin, Florida- 33570
Contact Number: (813) 253-7000
- Miami Dade College
Address: 300 North East 2nd Avenue, Miami, Florida- 33132-2204
Contact Number: 305-237-8888
Official Website: http://www.mdc.edu/main/
- Palm Beach State College
Address: 4200 Congress Avenue, Lake Worth, Florida- 33461
Contact Number: 561-868-3350
Official Website: http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/
- Pensacola State College
Address: 1000 College Boulevard, Pensacola, Florida- 32504
Contact Number: (850) 484-1759
Official Address: http://www.pensacolastate.edu/
- Seminole State College of Florida
Address: 100 Weldon Boulevard, Sanford, Florida- 32773
Contact Number: 407-708-4722
Official Address: http://www.seminolestate.edu/
- St. Petersburg College
Address: P.O. Box- 13489, St. Petersburg, Florida- 33733-3489
Contact Number: 727-341-4772
- Valencia College
Address: P.O. Box- 3028, Orlando, Florida- 32802
Contact Number: 407-299-5000
- College of Central Florida
Address: 3001 Southwest College Road, Ocala, Florida- 34474-4415
Contact Number: 352-873-5800
- Daytona State College
Address: 1200 West International Speedway Boulevard, Daytona Beach, Florida- 32114
Contact Number: (386) 506-3000
Official Website: http://www.daytonastate.edu/
- Edison State College
Address: 8099 College Parkway, Fort Myers, Florida- 33919
Contact Number: 239-489-9300
- Gulf Coast State College
Address: 5230 West Highway 98, Panama City, Florida- 32401
Contact Number: 850-769-1551
- Indian River State College
Address: 3209 Virginia Avenue, Fort Pierce, Florida- 34981
Contact Number: 772-462-4772
- Florida Gateway College
Address: 149 Southeast College Place, Lake City, Florida- 32025
Contact Number: 386-752-1822
Official Website: https://www.fgc.edu/
- Lake Technical Center
Address: 2001 Kurt Street, Eustis, Florida- 32726
Contact Number: 352-589-2250
Official Website: http://www.laketech.org/
- Manatee Technical Institute
Address: 6305 State Road 70 East, Bradenton, Florida- 34203
Contact Number: 941-751-7900
Official Website: http://manateetech.edu/
- Polk State College
Address: 999 Avenue H Northeast, Winter Haven, Florida- 33881
Contact Number: 863-297-1000
- Sarasota County Technical Institute
Address: 4748 Beneva Road, Sarasota, Florida- 34233
Contact Number: (941) 924-1365
- Tallahassee Community College
Address: 444 Appleyard Drive, Tallahassee, Florida- 32304
Contact Number: (850) 201-6200
Official Website: https://www.tcc.fl.edu/Pages/default.aspx
- First Coast Technical College
Address: 2980 Collins Avenue, St. Augustine, Florida- 32084
Contact Number: 904-547-3282
Official Website: http://fctc.edu/
Florida EMT Contact Information:
Florida Department of Health
EMS Advisory Council
Florida Department of Health
4052 Bald Cypress Way
Tallahassee, FL 32399[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]