The Rundown of EMT Certification in Georgia:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Georgia, must pass an exam organised by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Georgia is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
- EMT aspirant should be of 18 years of age.
- Completion of training from a state-recognized institute is mandatory.
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification is essential to be maintained by the candidate.
- The candidate must clear both portions- cognitive and psychomotor of the NREMT examination.
- An evidence of legal presence of the candidate in the United States is important to be provided by the candidate.
- He/she should possess strong endurance and good mental health.
- You should be good at understanding, writing and speaking English language.
- A background check of the candidate is also mandatory.
Special Requirements to Get EMT Certificate in Georgia
- Application for the certification and the pertinent fee should be submitted by the candidate.
- A practical examination, conducted by the state, is also needed to be passed by the candidate.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
First of all, the candidate must take EMT training from a training college or school, recognized by the state.
Step 2: Submit Your Application for the National Certification
- Create an account on the NREMT website. Open the website and click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, create a new application on the website by clicking on the link “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, you need to make the payment of the application fee just after finishing the online application.
- Check the progress of your application and the “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter by logging in the website using your username and password. Here, click on the option “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- If “Submitted” appears besides “Course Completion Verification”, then it is an indication that your details have been provided, but yet the approval of the education program director about your course completion is awaited.
- However, you need to pay the application fee before you get ATT Letter, in case, “Not Submitted” besides “Application Payment” appears on the site.
- You will see the link “Print ATT Letter” if the education program director has verified your course completion process.
- Now, print your ATT Letter and decide a date of your NREMT examination. The instructions for scheduling the NREMT exam are provided in your ATT Letter.
The NREMT practical examinations are conducted by the state-approved training programs of Georgia.
Step 3: Background Check
A background check of the candidate through their fingerprint should be done. You need to go to the Georgia Applicant Processing Services website for this purpose.
Step 4: Apply for the License
Now, fill the EMS Individual Licensure Application form, which includes the following requirements:
- The candidate must submit a clear copy of his/her certificate of course completion.
- He/she should also provide NREMT certificate copies.
- They should also provide both-sided copies of CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) card.
- The candidate should make the payment of $75.00 as initial certification fee through check drawn on the name of “Georgia Department of Public Health”.
- They should provide a proof of their legal presence in U.S.
- A 2X2 coloured photograph for identification is also needed.
Georgia EMS Training Locations:
- Albany Technical College
Address: 1704 South Slappey Boulevard, Albany, Georgia- 31701
Contact Number: 229-430-3500
- Athens Technical College
Address: 800 US Highway 29 North, Athens, Georgia- 30601
Contact Number: 706-355-5000
- Central Georgia Technical College
Address: 54 Highway 22 West, Milledgeville, Georgia- 31061
Contact Number: (478) 445-2300
Fax: (478) 445-2334
Official Website: http://www.centralgatech.edu/
- Chattahoochee Technical College
Address: 980 South Cobb Drive, Marietta, Georgia- 30060
Contact Number: 770-528-4545
Official Website: http://www.chattahoocheetech.edu/
- Darton State College
Address: 2400 Gillionville Road, Albany, Georgia- 31707
Contact Number: (229) 317-6000
Official Website: http://www.darton.edu/
- Georgia Northwestern Technical College
Address: One Maurice Culberson Drive, Rome, Georgia- 30161
Contact Number: 1-866-983-4682
Official Website: http://www.gntc.edu/
- Gwinnett Technical College
Address: 5150 Sugarloaf Parkway, Lawrenceville, Georgia- 30043
Contact Number: 770-962-7580
Official Website: http://www.gwinnetttech.edu/
- Savannah Technical College
Address: 5717 White Bluff Road, Savannah, Georgia- 31405
Contact Number: 912-443-5519
- Southern Crescent Technical College
Address: 501 Varsity Road, Griffin, Georgia- 30223
Contact Number: (770) 228-7348
Official Website: http://www.sctech.edu/
- West Georgia Technical College
Address: 401 Adamson Square, Carrollton, Georgia- 30117
Contact Number: 678-664-0400
Official Website: http://www.westgatech.edu/
- Georgia Piedmont Technical College
Address: 495 North Indian Creek Drive, Clarkston, Georgia- 30021
Contact Number: 404-297-9522
Official Website: http://www.gptc.edu/
- Altamaha Technical College
Address: 1777 West Cherry Street, Jesup, Georgia- 31545
Contact Number: (912) 427-5800
Official Website: http://www.altamahatech.edu/
- Atlanta Technical College
Address: 1560 Metropolitan Parkway South-west, Atlanta, Georgia- 30310-4446
Contact Number: (404) 225-4400
Official Website: http://www.atlantatech.edu/
- Augusta Technical College
Address: 3200 Augusta Technical Drive, Augusta, Georgia- 30906
Contact Number: 706-771-4000
Official Website: http://www.augustatech.edu/
- Southeastern Technical College
Address: 3001 East First Street, Vidalia, Georgia- 30474
Contact Number: (912) 538-3100
Official Website: http://www.southeasterntech.edu/
Georgia EMT Contact Information:
Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS)
2600 Skyland Dr., Lower Level
Atlanta, GA 30319
Phone | 404-679-0547
Fax | 404-679-0526
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation | 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]