The Rundown of EMT Certification in Kansas:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Kansas, must pass an exam organised by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Kansas is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What Are The Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate?
- At least 18-year of age is compulsory for EMT candidates in Kansas.
- He/she must have successfully passed a state-approved EMT training program.
- The prospective candidate must possess a CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification.
- He/she should have passed the necessary NREMT examination.
- The candidate must provide a legal evidence of their citizenship in the United States.
- The candidate must be fit and healthy both psychologically and bodily.
- He/she must be able to speak and understand English language.
- A background check of the candidate is also compulsory for the certification process.
Special requirements are:
- The candidate in Kansas must provide the application for certification and the applicable fee for it.
- Passing a practical examination conducted by a state-approved program is a must.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get Trained
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
- You need to go to the NREMT website in order to create an account. Click on the link “Create New Account”.
- A new application for NREMT examination must be created by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- The application fee must be paid by the candidate soon after the online application is completed, though you can also pay later.
- The application process of the NREMT exam should be monitored regularly while looking for the “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter by going to the website’s homepage. Log in to your account with the username and password and click on the link “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The details of your application have been submitted if “Submitted” appears besides “Course Completion Verification”. But, the confirmation of your course completion by the education program director is still awaited.
- But, if “Not Submitted” appears beside “Application Payment”, then you need to pay your fee before you receive the ATT Letter.
- If your course completion has been approved by the education program director and you have made the payment, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- Take the printed copy of your ATT Letter and decide a date and time of your exam.
Important Note: Only if your verification has been done, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
The instructions for scheduling the NREMT examination will be provided in your ATT Letter.
Step 3: Practical Examination
Since July 1, 2010, all the EMT practical examinations have been conducted by the Southwest KS EMS (SKEMS).
Step 4: Application for Kansas State Certification
After successfully passing the written and practical examination, you will get a Kansas card along with a certificate. Any other paperwork is not required.
Step 5: Background Check
Lastly, you are required to go through a criminal background check. This is the final step in the certification process. Consult your EMT coordinator for this purpose.
Kansas Approved EMS Training Facilities:
- Allen Community College
Address: 1801 North Cottonwood, Iola, Kansas- 66749
Contact Number: 620-365-5116
Official Website: http://www.allencc.edu/
- Barton County Community College
Address: 245 Northeast 30 Road, Great Bend, Kansas- 67530
Contact Number: 800-748-7594, 620-792-2701
Official Website: http://www.bartonccc.edu/
- Cloud County Community College
Address: 2221 Campus Drive, Concordia, Kansas- 66901
Contact Number: 800-729-5101
Official Website: http://www.cloud.edu/
- Cowley County Community College
Address: 125 South 2nd Street, P.O. Box- 1147, Arkansas City, Kansas- 67005
Contact Number: 620-442-0430
Official Website: http://www.cowley.edu/
- Fort Scott Community College
Address: 2108 South Horton Fort Scott, Kansas- 66701
Contact Number: 1-800-874-3722
Official Website: http://www.fortscott.edu/
- Highland Community College
Address: 606 West Main Highland, Kansas- 66035
Contact Number: 785-442-6000
Official Website: http://highlandcc.edu/
- Hutchinson Community College
Address: 1300 North Plum, Hutchinson, Kansas- 67501
Contact Number: (620) 665-3500
Official Website: http://www.hutchcc.edu/
- Johnson County Community College
Address: 12345 College Boulevard, Overland Park, Kansas- 66210-1299
Contact Number: 913-469-8500
Official Website: http://www.jccc.edu/
- Kansas City Kansas Community College
Address: 7250 State Avenue, Kansas City, Kansas- 66112
Contact Number: 913-334-1100
Official Website: http://www.kckcc.edu/
- Neosho County Community College
Address: 800 West 14th Street, Chanute, Kansas- 66720
Contact Number: 620-431-2820
Official Website: http://www.neosho.edu/
- Coffeyville Community College
Address: 400 West 11th Street, Coffeyville, Kansas- 67337
Contact Number: (620) 251-7700
Official Website: http://www.coffeyville.edu/
- Flint Hills Technical College
Address: 3301 West 18th Avenue, Emporia, Kansas- 66801
Contact Number: 620-343-4600
Official Website: https://www.fhtc.edu/
- Garden City Community College
Address: 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, Kansas- 67846
Contact Number: 620-276-7611
Official Website: http://www.gcccks.edu/
- Independence Community College
Address: 1057 West College Avenue, Independence, Kansas- 67301
Contact Number: 620-331-4100, 800-842-6063
Official Website: http://www.indycc.edu/
Kansas EMT Contact Information:
Kansas Board of Emergency Medical Services
Landon State Office Building
900 SW Jackson Street,
Topeka, KS 66612-1228