Trade Name: Lasix
Class: Loop diuretic
- Diuretic- inhibits sodium and chloride reabsorption in the proximal part of the ascending loop of hence and distal renal tubule, promoting excretion of sodium, water, chloride, and potassium.
- Hyperkalemia – non potassium sparring diuretic therefore K+ leaves in the urine.
Packaging: 40mg/4mL amp
- Acute pulmonary edema (BP>90mmHg with signs of shock)
- Hyperkalemia (adults only)
- Complete renal shutdown (non-acute anuria)
- Severe hypovolemia, Hypotension, and dehydration
- Adult: 0.5-1.0mg/kg IV over 1-2 minutes (start at 1.0mg/kg for hyperkalemia). If no response after 15-20 minutes double the dose up to 2mg/kg and IV over 1-2min
- Pediatric: 1.0mg/kg IV/IM , Max dose 20mg IV
- Watch for signs of electrolyte depletion and monitor ecg
- Monitor for signs of ototoxicity (rapid admin)
- Patients sensitive to sulfonamides
- Elderly and debilitated patients