EMT Certification Rundown:
Students must complete EMT training from a state-approved institute in order to get EMT certification in Idaho. Students receive their EMT certification from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, which provide registration to all the emergency medical technicians from all over the country. The student needs to pass both the written and practical NREMT exams, and then, they are certified as national EMT.
The candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as, fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as, diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
What are the Requirements to Get An EMT Certificate?
- Eighteen years of age or more is a must.
- EMT training from a state-approved training school or college is mandatory to be completed by the candidate.
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) training is also compulsory to be passed.
- Both parts of NREMT examination- psychomotor and cognitive should be passed by the applicant.
- The candidate must provide an evidence of his/her legal presence in the U.S.
- It is important for the candidate to be physically and mentally fit and healthy.
- English fluency is a must for the candidate, applying for EMT certification.
- The candidate must pass a background check successfully.
Special Requirements to Get EMT Certificate
- The application for the certification and the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate.
- A state-approved practical examination must be successfully cleared by the candidate.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
Step 2: Fill and Submit an Application for National Certification
- Create a new account on NREMT website. Click on the link “Create New Account”.
- Now, new application should be created by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- The application fee must be paid after completing the online completion.
- The application status should be checked from time-to-time, and also check for the “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter whether it has been uploaded on your account or not. This can be done by logging in the account with username and password, through which, it was created.
- If the website has submitted the details, it will show “Submitted” besides “Course Completion Verification” indicating that the authorization of the course completion by the education program director is yet awaited.
- However, you may need to pay the application fee before getting the “ATT Letter”, if you see “Not Submitted” besides “Application Payment”.
- If the education program director has checked the process of course completion, then “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The printed ATT Letter will give you instructions to schedule the NREMT examination.
Important Note: You will receive ATT Letter only if the verification has been done by the education program director.
Step 3: Practical Examination
Candidates are also required to give a practical examination. But, it needs prior registration in order to ensure a seat in the examination. Some websites also charge an applicable fee for hosting the examination, which should be paid duly by the candidate.
Step 4: Background Check
The candidate needs to pass a criminal background check and provide it to the Department of Health and Welfare.
Step 5: Application for State Certification
You must take a print out and fill the Initial Provider Application form. Submit the applicable fee.
EMS Training in Idaho:
- Brigham Young University
Address: 525 South Center Street, Rexburg, Idaho- 83460
Contact Number: (208) 496-1411
Official Website: http://www.byui.edu/
- College of Southern Idaho
Address: 315 Falls Avenue, P.O. Box- 1238, Twin Falls, Idaho- 83303-1238
Contact Number: (208) 733-9554
Official Website: http://www.csi.edu/
- Idaho State University
Address: 921 South 8th Avenue, Pocatello, Idaho- 83209
Contact Number: (208) 282-0211
Official Website: http://www.isu.edu/
- Lewis-Clark State College
Address: 500 8th Avenue, Lewiston, Idaho- 83501
Contact Number: (208) 792-5272, (800) 933-5272
Official Website: http://www.lcsc.edu/
Idaho EMT Contact Information:
2224 Old Penitentiary Rd
Boise, ID 83712
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0036
Fax: (208) 334-4015