The Rundown of EMT Certification in Ohio:
Prospective EMT candidates, who wish to get EMT certification in Ohio, must pass an exam organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, before this, they need to complete EMT training program from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT certification in Ohio is valid for a period of two years only.
In regards to the NREMT exam, the candidate must pass the written exam, which is a test comprising around 70-120 questions that are required to be answered in 2 hours duration. This is an adjustable difficulty computerized exam. The exam includes topics, such as airway management, ventilation, oxygen therapy, EMS operations, cardiology, health emergencies, and general trauma. In the practical examination, a candidate’s capability to handle traumatic situations, such as fractures, bleeding, joint dislocations, etc., are tested. A candidate will also be tested on medical emergencies such as diabetic emergencies, strokes, cardiac arrest, etc. If a candidate fails in the examination, he/she can re-test for the next examination after 15 days. Six attempts can be made by the candidate to pass the exams successfully.
In case, you fail to renew your certificate before or by the expiration date, your certificate will be considered as involuntary inactive. If, after the expiration of the certificate, you fail to recertify it within 180 days, your certificate will get null and void, and you will have to undergo the entire certification cycle, again.
What are the Requirements to Get an EMT Certificate In Ohio?
Following are the pre-requisites that should be fulfilled by the EMT candidates:
- EMT candidate must be 18 years of age or more.
- He/she should have completed a state-approved EMT training program.
- He/she must possess a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The candidate is required to qualify the NREMT examination.
- It is mandatory for the candidates to submit legal evidence of their U.S. nationality.
- The candidate should be free from any mental or bodily ailment.
- English fluency is a must for every applicant.
- The candidate must compulsorily pass a criminal background screening.
Apart from this, there are some special requirements that are also required to be accomplished, like submission of application and applicable fees, and completion of a state-recognized practical exam.
What is the Process of EMT Certification?
Step 1: Get EMT Training
The candidate must successfully complete EMT training before applying for certification. The candidate can contact the local EMS department or any community college that provides training programs.
Step 2: Submit Application for National Certification
In order to get a national certification, a candidate has to appear for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam. Once the candidate has attained the Ohio license, the submission of NREMT certification for recertification is not necessary. The state of Ohio makes use of the National Registry only for the purpose of examination. After obtaining the license, it is mandatory for the licensee to complete the Continuing Education (CE) training. If the candidate is nationally registered, he/she is not refrained from fulfilling the Continuing Education (CE) requirements in order to renew the Ohio license.
- The candidate should start by creating an account on the NREMT website. Click on “Create New Account”.
- Next, the candidate must create a new application by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Now, the applicable fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completion of the online application. Though, the application fee can also be paid afterward.
- After the candidate is done with the online application, he/she must keep a check on its progress by regularly looking for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. This can be done by logging into the website through the password and username, subsequently clicking on the option of “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- The candidate’s details have been submitted by the website if “Submitted” appears beside “Course Completion Verification”, and therefore, it indicates that the approval of the course completion by the education program director is being awaited.
- Whereas, if “Not Submitted” appears beside “Application Payment”, it clearly means that the candidate must pay the application fee before proceeding further.
- After the application payment and confirmation by the education program director, the link “Print ATT Letter” will appear.
- The candidate is required to take a printed copy of his/her ATT Letter and set a timetable for NREMT exam.
The ATT Letter directs the candidate on scheduling the NREMT examination by using ‘Pearson VUE’ website.
Step 3: Background Check
To complete the process of certification, the candidate must undergo a criminal background check. For this, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: License Application
The last step in the certification process is to apply for a license. The students can fill the application online at https://www.dps.state.oh.us/certrenewal/main.aspx. It is essential for the applicants to carefully read the instructions and furnish all the necessary details. If the application is incomplete and incorrect, it will be rejected. The students are also required to enter their class ID and password as per the guidelines provided by the program director.
EMT Training Sites in Ohio:
- Northwest State Community College
Address: 22600 State Route 34, Archbold, Ohio- 43502
Contact Number: 855-267-5511
Official Website: http://www.northweststate.edu/
- University of Cincinnati-Clermont College
Address: 4200 Clermont College Drive, Batavia, Ohio- 45103
Contact Number: 513-732-5200
Official Website: http://www.ucclermont.edu/
- University of Cincinnati-Blue Ash College
Address: 9555 Plainfield Road, Blue Ash, Ohio- 45236
Contact number: 513-745-5600
Official Website: http://www.ucblueash.edu/
- Auburn Career Center
Address: 8140 Auburn Road, Concord Township, Ohio- 44077
Contact Number: 440-357-7542
Official Website: http://www.auburncc.org/
- Mahoning County Career and Technical Center
Address: 7300 North Palymra Road, Canfield, Ohio- 44406
Contact Number: 330-729-4000
Official Website: http://www.mahoningctc.com/
- Cincinnati State Technical and Community College
Address: 3520 Central Parkway, Cincinnati, Ohio- 45223
Contact Number: 513-569-1500 / 877-569-0115
Official Website: http://www.cincinnatistate.edu/
- Cuyahoga Community College
Address: 3409 Woodland Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio- 44115
Contact Number: 800-954-8742
Official Website: http://www.tri-c.edu
- Columbus State Community College
Address: 550 East Spring Street, Columbus, Ohio- 43215
Contact Number: 614-287-5353
Official Website: http://www.cscc.edu/
- Sinclair Community College
Address: 444 West Third Street, Dayton, Ohio- 45402
Contact Number: 937-512-3000/ 1-800-315-3000
Official Website: http://www.sinclair.edu/
- Delaware Area Career Center
Address: 4565 Columbus Pike, Delaware, Ohio- 43015
Contact Number: 740-543-0708
Official Website: http://www.delawareohiocareercenter.com/
- Vanguard Technical Center
Address: 1306 Cedar Street, Fremont, Ohio- 43420
Contact Number: 419-332-2626
Official Website: http://www.vscc.k12.oh.us/
- Eastland-Fairfield Career and Technical Schools
Address: 4465 South Hamilton Road, Groveport, Ohio- 43125
Contact Number: 614-836-5725
Official Website: http://www.eastland-fairfield.com/
- Butler Tech
Address: 3603 Hamilton-Middletown Road, Hamilton, Ohio- 45011
Contact Number: 513-868-6300
Official Website: http://www.butlertech.org/
- Southern State Community College
Address: 100 Hobart Drive, Hillsboro, Ohio- 45133
Contact Number: 937-393-3431
Official Website: http://www.sscc.edu/
- Lakeland Community College
Address: 7700 Clocktower Drive, Kirtland, Ohio- 44094-5198
Contact Number: 440-525-7000 / 1-800-589-8520
Official Website: http://lakelandcc.edu/
- Great Lakes Health Institute
Address: 5555 Mayfield Road, Lyndhurst, Ohio- 44124
Contact Number: 440-995-0555
Official Website: http://www.livewellenjoylife.com/
- Ehove Career Center
Address: 316 West Mason Road, Milan, Ohio- 44846
Contact Number: 419-499-4663 / 419-627-9665
Official Website: http://www.ehove.net/
- Tri-Rivers Career Center
Address: 2222 Marion-Mount, Gilead Road, Marion, Ohio- 43302
Contact Number: 740-389-4682 / 740-389-4681
Official Website: http://tririvers.com/
- Knox County Career Center
Address: 306 Martinsburg Road, Mount Vernon, Ohio- 43050
Contact Number: 740-397-5820
Official Website: http://knoxcc.org/
- Lorain County Joint Vocational School District
Address: 15181 State Route 58, Oberlin, Ohio- 44074
Contact Number: 440-774-1051/ 440-986-6601
Official Website: http://www.lcjvs.com/
- Career and Technology Education Centers of Licking County
Address: 150 Price Road, Newark, Ohio- 43055
Contact Number: 740-364-2832
Official Website: http://www.c-tec.edu/
- Shawnee State University
Address: 940 Second Street, Portsmouth, Ohio- 45662
Contact Number: 800-959-2778/ 740-351-4778
Official Website: http://www.shawnee.edu/
- Clark State Community College
Address: 570 East Leffel Lane, Springfield, Ohio- 45505
Contact Number: 937-325-0691
Official Website: https://www.clarkstate.edu/
- Eastern Gateway Community College
Address: 4000 Sunset Boulevard, Steubenville, Ohio- 43952
Contact Number: 740-264-5591 / 800-682-6553
Official Website: http://www.egcc.edu/
- The University of Toledo
Address: 2801 West Bancroft, Toledo, Ohio- 43606-3390
Contact Number: 800.586.5336
Official Website: http://www.utoledo.edu/
- Greene County Career Center
Address: 2960 West Enon Road, Xenia, Ohio- 45385
Contact Number: 937-372-6941
Official Website: http://www.greeneccc.com/site/default.aspx?PageID=1
- Youngstown State University
Address: One University Plaza, Youngstown, Ohio- 44555
Contact Number: 330-941-3000
Official Website: http://www.ysu.edu/
Ohio EMT Contact Information:
Ohio Department of Public Safety
Division of Emergency Medical Services
1970 West Broad Street
Columbus Ohio 43223
Phone: (614) 466-9447
Toll Free: (800) 233-0785
Fax: (614) 466-9461